The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, Jay R, 2-Ton, Barry Martak, Lightholder's Dad, Hotrod Lincoln), 152 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,479
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#647526 05/18/2010 4:21 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 42
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 42
From a distance my tires look in good shape, but closer inspection reveals lots of dry cracks, etc... I have no idea how safe they are, so to err on the safe side I called a local tire store and to replace my tires the cost would be:
-$169.99/tire (6 total)
-$80 freight
-$15/tire for mounting

For a grand total out the door of ~$1287.

Definitely pricey. Is this my best (/only) option or does anyone have other solutions? I could fix up lots of little things here and there for that much, but the truck isn't much good without tires.

I need to get a spare wheel as well, but I will look for one at a swap meet / online.

Last edited by Overgripped; 05/18/2010 7:57 PM.

1946 Chevrolet 3800 1-Ton

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picasa

I understand computers and I like them, just not in cars.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Depends on what you are going to do with the truck.If you are doing some heavy hauling &/or going a long way you would want to go with 6 new ones. If it's just a toy you could put the best ones on the rear duals & just replace the front ones.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I've had good luck searching used tire shops, may take a while but I've saved some money. Also put wanted ad for your size tires on craig's list.
Best of luck


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 42
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 42
Thanks guys. Not doing any heavy hauling, but more than a play truck. My philosophy with this truck is to use it as an around the house work truck but want the flexibility to be able to travel 100 miles or so as well with a light or medium load (few hundred pounds). Mostly for transporting veggies, compost, lumber, maybe some gravel, etc...

I think I will watch craigslist and the used tire shops. If I run into a problem before then, I'll have to bite the bullet.


1946 Chevrolet 3800 1-Ton

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picasa

I understand computers and I like them, just not in cars.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,831
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,831
At one time, a lot of the the 1-ton rated van type bread trucks were equipped with 19.5" tubeless tires and tapered-bead rims. They were a direct replacement for the 18" tube type tires, same overall height but with a slightly shorter sidewall. If there's a bakery in your area that's been in business for a long time, check to see if they've got some leftover spare wheels and tires!
Jerry



"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0