Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,613 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 132 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2010 Posts: 132 | I got the trans out. (see giant box-O-rocks thread). so now while we're at it, I should check the clutch. I got the throw out bearing and fork out tonight.
Now, to get the clutch pressure plate off, as the manual says only one turn per bolt all around, I'll need to turn the engine.
so I removed the plugs, thinking easier turning, but not really.
Is it correct to have a helper bump the starter to turn the engine so I can get to all the bolts?
Or is there a proper hand crank procedure?
Plugs are out so it wont surprise start.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 | The best way is to take a large screw driver or pry bar with you under the truck and turn the flywheel a little at a time by putting it between the bell housing and the teeth on the flywheel this way you can adjust the bolts were you want them and if you get a bolt thats tight you can use it to hold on to the flywheel so you can loosen it.
Pete | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 132 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2010 Posts: 132 | thanks, that sounds like a good idea. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | You can take out 2 bolts per turn. If you might use the same clutch over, you should loosen the bolts a little at a time, turning it around about 3 times. Otherwise you can warp the pressure plate. Same way going back. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | A little tip, if you have an "alignment" tool, put it in to keep the clutch disc from falling out while your removing the pressure plate bolts. | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 132 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2010 Posts: 132 | OK, got clutch out.
Got a complete clutch kit from auto parts store that includes a new Pilot bearing.
That looks challenging to take out. My manual shows a special puller tool and driver to replace.
How important is replacing that part?
The new clutch kit came with a pilot tool that exactly nicely fits the new pilot bearing.
So, for reference, I tried the tool in the existing bearing and it is a little wiggly. Not too much, but not as correct of a fit as the new one.
Should I take that one out? If so, how? Or just let it go, close enough. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | replacement is close enough, and easy if you let hydraulics do your work - pump some grease in the hole and drive the tool in with a sharp tap ... if that tool isn't long enough to go over half way in, find a piece of dowl the same diamater .... and if grease is too messy use wet toilet paper, the bushing will come right out
Bill | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | Now is the time to replace the pilot bushing. That will be one of the little tasks that will comeback to haunt you if you don't, I speak from experience. I tried the wet toilet paper, didn't work, may have been the dowel? The alignment tool might work with grease. You just fill the pilot hole with grease, may require 2-3 fills but it does work! I had an old imput shaft, to drive into the bushing hole. And the grease didn't "splatter". My have to hit it half dozen times or more. | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 132 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2010 Posts: 132 | I tried the grease and dowel, and it just leaked grease all over. Then I tried adding some TP to the grease mess and it just got pounded in there, too. Today, I got THIS at the auto parts store for 15 bucks and it came right out! OK, not right out. The first attempt resulted in the remover bottoming and hitting the crank before completely sealing, so again, grease leaked out. So I took it out and cut off about 3/4" of the pointy end and screwed it back in there to seal it up good. Then, pumped the grease-gun, and it just came out all nice and easy! Tomorrow, re-install new clutch parts. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Never saw one of those, how much cost em' Scot??? I'm surprised that the hand greas gun had enough pressure to pop it out. DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 05/22/2010 7:34 AM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 132 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2010 Posts: 132 | Cost just 15 bucks at carquest. And the hand grease pump had easily enough pressure, once it was sealed up with the threaded insert! | | |
| |