The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (78buckshot, klhansen), 75 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,713
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 26
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 26
Trying to install new pan and timing cover on 1969 pickup with 350 crate motor. I've got the pan loose but I'm having trouble getting the oil pan out from under the motor. I am not able to get it past the flywheel (which is exposed). Any tricks to this? I'm afraid that the tranny is the problem. I've tried jacking up areas but this didn't help. I didn't think this would be so difficult.
Also, I've got the front end down to the pully. Any tricks to getting this off easily?


I gave up golf for this!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
You need to disconnect the front engine mounts & raise the front of the engine. Make shure the counter weight on number 1 cyl. is up in the engine. The pully bolts to the front of the damper with 3 bolts & the damper bolt. You must use a puller that uses the taped holes in the damper. Screw the balancer bolt partway in to push against. Do not pull from the outer edges of the damper.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 26
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 26
Thanks Wrenchbender! got the timing cover off. Now how do I determine if the counterbalance is up?


I gave up golf for this!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It is a large counterweight on the front of the crank just inside the oil pan. If it is in the down possition the pan hangs up on it makeing it impossible to get the pan off with the engine in the truck. If it is in the down possition turn the engine till it is positioned up in the upper part.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 26
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 26
Thanks Wrench got it all done today and nothing leaks currently. Appreciate all your help


I gave up golf for this!
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Quote
I gave up golf for this!
You did the right thing.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0