Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Jon G),
136
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,124 Posts1,056,334 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | Mike B was here yesterday and mentioned that the guys at one of our area big truck scrap yards was saying that they've been selling most all 2-speed axles that come in (For the larger trucks, I think Mike said -- hopefully he can fill us in).
Apparently they're all going to South and Central America where a lot of older trucks with 2-speeds are still in service and the parts for them are hard enough to find that buyers are scouring N. American junk yards for them.
I found this an interesting bit of info and a bit cautionary. If true, we all might want to make sure our own parts stashes are well stocked.
Anyone else know anything of this? Mike B -- Anything to add to this?
John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | well if they bought our trucks back when and thier breaking them it makes sense that they would buy our scraped ones to fix theirs | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | I've read on some other forums about central & south American people or their agents buying trucks, parts of trucks and other older heavier equipment and taking them below the border to keep their equipment running longer.
From what I hear, they pay good prices and in cash too.
-W | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | I have been attending these salvage auctions for over 10 years. I am going to have to miss this one. http://berryhillauctioneers.com/auction.php?aid=534 However, I would venture to say that 3/4 of the lots will go to south and central America. I sold a semi load of stuff that was surplus to me at one of Berryhill's auctions recently, and I don't think a single part stayed in the US. They have lots of cheap labor, people who have learned to improvise through necessity, and they do not worry about safety standards or emissions standards. With about a half a dozen of these sales a year, thats a lot of stuff going out of the country.
Last edited by crenwelge; 04/18/2010 6:35 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | John, Looks like others are hearing and seeing what I was told...they buy our worn out equipment and then take all of the usable parts they can find to keep them running. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Jan 1970 Posts: 365 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 1970 Posts: 365 | Lots of old, high-hour, worn-out John Deere combines and tractors make a trip to Mexico. They are not afraid to rebuild almost anything and pay top dollar IN CASH. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 | Well that's gonna make life difficult down the road for folks. Potentialy have to swap in a single speed or pony up the dough to have parts custom fabricated,... Joy! 1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber" 2007 Chevy Avalanche 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things. But thats just MY opinion! :P
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 93 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 93 | Yea that's all I need. It's hard enough to find a junk yard around where I'm at that stocks vehicles older than 1990. (Most junkyard owners are scraping anything older) And now people are coming in out of country to take the few parts in the few junk yards I know have older stuff. Great... | | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 1 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 1 | This has been going on for years around here with tractors and farm equipment. I really don't like it but when the buyers flash cash most folks grab it and let their stuff leave the country. Just seems like a bad idea down the road. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I'd say its better its shipped south and refurbished for reuse than shipped east as shredded scrap. At least this way there is hope of finding recognizable parts again...
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 | Yanno, I'd have to agree, I'd rather see these old beasts find a new life South of the border than be melted down to make into cheap Chinese made tools. 1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber" 2007 Chevy Avalanche 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things. But thats just MY opinion! :P
| | |
| |