| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 18 | I dismantled (partially) the speedometer on my 1939 Chevy truck to replace the needle that had fallen off. The face has quite a bit of rust, but I can still read the numbers pretty well. I'd like to clean the rust off if possible, does anyone have any ideas? And, is there a way to test it before putting it back in the dash? My thought was to hook the cable back to it and use the drill to see if the number turn.
Angie | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 1,312 | If you can't get the Faceplate cleaned up, you can purchase reproduction from Jim Carter Truck Parts, among others. On the drill idea, must run drill very slowly to avoid damage to gears in odometer | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | If it were me I'd send it to a professional speedo rebuilder.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 18 | Well, I did take it apart and cleaned it. I carefully attached the drill to the end of the cable and watched the numbers turn. I decided that I like the patina of a somewhat rusty gage. Here's some recent photos. www.flickr.com/photos/angji/Thanks, Angie | | |
| |
| |