The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#638599 04/18/2010 12:56 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
Just about finished with my ’53 pg engine rebuild and now I’ve found that the rocker arm shaft is worn on the bottom. Is this common? Where is a good place to get replacements?


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
Jim Carters has them ,but I couldn't link the page it's # 97 or 98 I gotto learn how to do that
part#ME242
Pete

Last edited by Pete52; 04/18/2010 1:29 AM.
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Try this link to Jim Carter,scroll down to the bottom.

rocker shaft

Last edited by bowtietim; 04/18/2010 3:52 AM.

1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
Carter shows only a single shaft for all 1940-* engines.
Unless there's a multi-purpose shaft I'm not aware of, there are at least 3 different shafts used in this period, and have oil holes that must match the year group-specific rockers. A 1953 shaft is pretty close to universal 1940-58 as to oil feeds, but don't use the 1959-* shaft.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
if you do get one from carter make sure to remove the loose flakes of metal from the inside of the shaft from the drilling process.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
51 ashton,your right,I remember deburring my shafts on the inside.


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
How much did you guys pay for your rocker shafts?? I have found them from $18.00 to $50.00 per half.


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I got mine from Rock Auto Parts. It was about 18 bucks as I recall for one shaft. NAPA wanted $260 for the same thing. I thought it must be a complete shaft with rockers, etc. but el wrongo...it was for the very same part!!! I just about fell off the counter stool and they couldn't tell me anything at all about it. So I ordered it just to see what it was and it was a single shaft, bare. I ordered the RAP shaft on Tuesday am and the little brown truck deleivered on Thursday. Great service and did it all online.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
My new shafts arrived yesterday from a supplier that I won’t name just yet. They do not fit. The problem is the holes for the hold down bolts. My bolts have a short shoulder, and the old shaft holes are larger on the top so the shoulder will fit through the top hole and not the bottom hole (you can not install the shaft upside down). The new shafts were made with both holes the same smaller size.

Since my 235 is pushing 60 I’m wondering if my old shafts are original or has someone modified them. Are all of the 235 shafts made with two different size bolt holes??


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
i paid around 20 for each one. i know the shafts that were on the original 51-235 and the old and the new ones i got for the 59-235 were all the same size. all the holes were for a 3/8ths bolt.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
Starting in 1954 Chev did away with the shouldered bolt, you can do the same.
Chev also sold as replacement, rocker supports that had a slot cut horizontally on one side so the supports would clamp down on the shaft. This prevented the shaft from rocking and wearing the supports. I cut a slot on the center support on each shaft to do the same, on the engines I build.
Here is a link to a link to a Picture.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
Dave:

Thanks for the info, once again the “Bolt” has come through.

Now I’m glad the e mail I had sent to the un-named supplier took the “what am I missing” approach and not the “YOU F_ _KED UP” approach.


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
'
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
' Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
Try Bruce Bugay in Virginia.

I got this pair of rocker shafts from him

a few years ago.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv57/glp0329/235%20Rocker%20Shaft/RockerShafts_zps4ddbf27b.jpg

Bruce's email: [email protected]

Tell him George
from New Jersey
sent you.

GP



1954 3600
A big help to many on the Bolt
Now cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
'
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
' Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 444
235 Rocker Shaft GM NOS
GM # 0.353
GM # 3836138

is available at:

Chicago Auto Parts
Saint Anne, Il.
phone:815-614-3122
They have ( 1 ) GM # 3836138 GM NOS

Dan's Obsolete
Chinook, Montana
phone:406-357-2615
They have ( 3 ) GM # 3836138 GM NOS

Llewllyn Obsolete
Northridge, CA.
phone:818-363-5094
They have ( 1 ) GM # 3836138 GM NOS

NOTE: When using this Rocker Arm Shaft
on models prior to 1954.

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/...Shaft/Rocker_Shaft_Note__zps5231e9ce.jpg

Bolt - GM # 9411925 ( 9 bolts are available )
&
Stud - GM # 3835659 ( 3 studs are available )

They are available at:

Dans Obsolete
Chinook, Montana
phone:406-357-2615

Good Luck

George
in
New Jersey

Last edited by '54 3600; 03/26/2014 12:51 PM. Reason: addition

1954 3600
A big help to many on the Bolt
Now cruising in
The Passing Lane
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
So, if I get this right...Shaft differences would be: 1,Support bolt with out a shoulder? (smaller hole on the top side at the support bolt) 2, Support bolt with a shoulder?( bigger hole on the top side at the support bolt) And ...what would be the difference on the third type? I did put the rocker arm shaft from a 216 into my 235. It was in much better shape than the one I had. It fit the rocker arms well and the had no issues with the support bolts. I don't know what year the 216 was but my 235 is a 55-58 according to the block casting numbers. The head is an 848 casting number but I don't know the year. The supports are not slotted. Now the rocker arms are not the same and the push rods are very different. So I used what came from the 235. Also used the support bolts from the 216 that go through the valve cover cause that is the cover that I had. So far so good as they say. Every thing else was from the 235. Springs, separator washers and spring clips. Or am I missing the differences altogether? Won't be the first time.


Steve H
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,747
Oh yeah! Clean the inside of those shafts real good. I got to do it again when the crud from in there blocked the supply line and stopped oil to the rocker shaft. Tell me again how we learn? I gotta pay better attention.


Steve H
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
When did they start machining a flat side on the shafts. I believe the early ones didn't have that.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
The 1950 Chevrolet Service News talks about the flat.
"Because the spring force of the hydraulic valve lifters place a continuous load on these bearings, a flat is machined on the bottom of the hollow shaft to supply them with more oil than in the regular engine".
So it would appear that Power Glide 235's used them and truck 235's and 216's did not.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
"the spring force of the hydraulic valve lifters"

Poor choice of phrase. Actual event: since there's no lash, the valve spring (not the lifter spring) tension is always present at the shaft.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
I was quoting from Chevrolet Service News.
There is a spring inside the lifter which keeps it extended so there is no lash. This is not done by oil pressure alone.
The valve spring design is the same on solid and hydraulic lifter engines, the constant rocker to shaft pressure is from the lifter.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0