Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (mick53, Shaffer's1950, klhansen, TooMany2count, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible),
83
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,388 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 94 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 94 | I just thought I would tell everyone about my latest purchase. It is a 1942 Chevrolet 3/4 ton. It has the original 216 and 4speed tranny in it. I am working on getting it running right now. I am getting lots of help with this truck from Stovebolters and it is very helpful. Here is the Story of getting this truck.
About two years ago, before I had most of my other projects, I decided that i really wanted an old Chevy truck to fix since I was born and raised to love Chevys! Well I fell in love with old art deco trucks(they are my favorite trucks) and decided that that was what i had to have. About a week later, me and a buddy went to a swap meet and I saw this old 3/4 ton art deco Chevy sitting on a flat bed trailer with a for sale sign in the window. I was so excited i could hardly dial the phone number on the for sale sign. This excitement quickly disappeared when the owner told me his asking price(way over my budget). When i went home, i was determined to find an art deco truck, just like the one at the swap meet. I put a wanted ad out on a local sight and believe it or not, i get an email from the guy at the swap meet saying he got this truck, but it was still the same out of my budget price. Even though this price was out of my budget i decided i would try everything to get the money and buy this truck. I kept in touch with the seller for quite a while, but eventually realized i could not scape up the money. I had to let the truck go.
About a year and a half later, I put my 1955 Chevy shortbox for sale on the same site i had previously posted my wanted ad on. Sure enough i get an email from the seller at the swap meet saying he would trade me his 1942 Chevy 3/4 ton for my 1955 Chevy truck. I desperately wanted to take the trade, but really needed the money and had to let the truck again. This was a extremely hard decision to make and really crushed my hopes of ever owning this old 42.
Well over the time i was trying to get this old 3/4 ton, i bought an old 46 Chevy shortbox, or what left of one. When i posted and a wanted ad for a grille on a different site than usual, i get an email from a completely different guy from before saying he had a 1942 Chevy 3/4 ton for a very reasonable price. I emailed him back asking for pictures not even thinking this could be the 3/4 ton i was trying to get for so long. But when the seller emailed me some pictures, i realized instantly that this was the truck. I found out that man had gotten this truck on trade from the previous owner and he was now selling it for what he thought it was worth. I called this man immediately and worked out a deal. I couldn't believe that i was actually getting the truck i thought i lost several times. I had tears in my eyes i was so excited. A week later (Saturday February 13 to be exact) me and my dad went and picked the ol girl up. She is sitting in our garage now while i am working on getting her running again.
Check my Gallery page (listed below) for story and lots of pictures.
Last edited by Peggy M; 04/26/2025 9:11 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 94 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 94 | Just thought i would let you guys know that I poured some gas down my carb in the 42 and she fired right up. Now i want to replace the old gas lines. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 | Congrats. That's nice looking truck there. I know you probably want to spend lots of money and fix that right up right away, but that truck is a survivor. You could get it running in tiptop shape and leave the body alone. It would look pretty badass running down the road like that. But if you do fix it up, send me a PM when you take off that front bumper. I want it! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 179 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 179 | Hi jordi,you know all good things come to thoses who wait.I think you waited long enough!great looking ride,ENJOY!!  Roy | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 94 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 94 | Thanks for the compliments guys. I look foward to getting the brakes working and get it running better. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 193 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 193 | That truck better treat you right cause you already proved "uluvit". Rat Rods and Survivors are on the rise, think about that before you spend too much.
Last edited by 46 Texaco; 03/23/2010 4:13 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 94 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 94 | Thanks for the compliment, I do want to fix the drivetrian first and drive it around like this for a while. Mabey one day my truck will be half as nice as yours  . | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | Looks like you have a lot to work with
Good luck with the project and let us know as you make progress
Kip | | | | | Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 2 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 2 | I know that this message is three years after you posted your purchase of a 42 3/4, but I just bought a 42 3/4 and have registered with Stovebold and am looking for information that I can put into good use for my truck. Do you still have the truck and is it alright if I pick your brain a little? Where is the ID tag mounted with the serial number on it. I need an exact location? How is the tag held in place? (A Picture would be nice). How can you determine a 41 from a 42 if the tag is missing? (I have mine) What does the jack look like? Where there any inside riewview mirrors? These are things that I should know before I jump into restoring a restoration already done. Thank you, Carld | | | | | Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 2 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2013 Posts: 2 | Jordi55, Just read your post. I have also just picked up a 42 3/4 Chevrolet truck (supposedly a 3/4). My problem is that without seeing a real 42 I cannot determine if mine is a 42 or something that is part 42 1/2 ton vs 40's something 3/4. I would like to talk with you about the various things on mine that give me some doubt that I have the real thing. Thank you, Carl Davidson 206-595-3204. Seattle | | |
| |