The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Peggy M, walter74, Shaffer's1950, Gray_Ghost, bucktruck, 1 invisible), 82 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,700
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164

My dad and I are thinking about buying a 1962 GMC 4000 Van Pelt fire engine from the local university surplus program. I'm in community college getting my A.S. in Fire Technology and I'm gonna be a firefighter like by grandpa. I can't find any info., what do you think it weighs and are there any things to look for when inspecting? We're hoping to get this on Tuesday. Any info would be appreciated and I'll update you guys when I see the truck. hope the link works http://www.ucsc.edu/matman/SurplusPictures/fire%20truck.jpg

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
Looks to be in really nice shape. It also appears to have a V6. I had good luck with one I had in an old pickup.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,225
I'll take a stab at the weight and say it's between 12,500 and 14,000 pounds.

As for inspecting, it's just like any other car or truck you buy. Check the tries, check for water in the oil, look for bare wires, see if the Master Cylinder has fluid...if it's empty you can bet it will need brake work. Check the radiator for anti-freeze, etc.

Hope this helps!

Let us know how the road trip home goes...we love a good story!

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 164
thanks for the info guys, my mom and I are going to go and test it tomorrow.
UPDATE: we got it.

Last edited by garandboy; 03/24/2010 6:49 AM.

Moderated by  69Cuda 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0