The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (JW51, Phak1), 92 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,081
Posts1,056,321
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
In the Task Force era GMC and Chevy 1/2 ton trucks, are the front crossmembers the same?

I want to mount a period correct 283-V8 in my GMC chassis using the original type chevy front mounts, but then it occurred to me that the GMC motors were longer than the chevy and that the front crossmember may be different. I'm pretty sure that was the case on earlier year trucks anyway. Does anybody know for sure about the TF trucks?

Red58? You're very knowledgeable, any idea?

I have a '58 Chevy and a '58 GMC, but unfortunately they are not both in the same location so I can't compare them side by side.

Thanks.


Mike
------
1958 Chevy 3200 Fleetside
1958 GMC 100 Wideside
------
Did you get free advice today? To donate to this site using PayPal is fast and EZ. Click here: http://www.stovebolt.com/office/thanks.html
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The frames should be the same. The difference is in the mounts that are bolted to the engine. You should be able to use the v-8 kit for a Chevy with no problems.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
gmc crossmembers were completely different than chevies. The 6 and 8 cylinders used the same crossmember. there was an extra plate riveted to the v-8 crossmember for an engine mount. I believe the gmc 8 mounted under the balancer to the crossmember. you can swap crossmembers by drilling out the rivets. Even with the gmc crossmember, it should be a pretty straight forward swap. blue chip crossmembers are the same for 55-57 and 58-59. the 58 and 59 are eazier to swap because the radiator and front sheet metal do not mount to the crossmember like they did in 55-57 models.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
OK...it looks like I'm in for a crossmember swap. With patience and a big hammer, I'm sure I can get 'er done. Thanks bigbad. I looked at the GMC crossmember yesterday and it looked different that I remember the Chevy crossmember being.

Are the Chevy 6 and 8 cylinder crossmembers the same? Or do they have extra plate riveted on as well?


Mike
------
1958 Chevy 3200 Fleetside
1958 GMC 100 Wideside
------
Did you get free advice today? To donate to this site using PayPal is fast and EZ. Click here: http://www.stovebolt.com/office/thanks.html
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
I think the chevy crossmembers are the same for 55-59. Don't know for sure... never had a chevy. I thought the chevy used the donut mount and had two sets of holes, the closer set for the 6 cylinder, and the wider set for the v-8. Don't know for sure.

Only know about the gmc crossmembers because somebody had welded a chevy one in to my gmc chasis and put a chevy 235 in there. I had to locate a 58-9 gmc crossmember, and I had to cut the chevy crossmember in pieces to get it out. All that for a truck I ended up getting rid of before I put the 302 gmc in it!

I really don't think you need to swap crossmembers. I think you could probably set the engine in there and drill the holes where you need them in the gmc crossmember. my .02

Getting the crossmember out is the easy part. Trying to get it back in is the hard part.

If you do go for the swap, Get a lot of patience, a big hammer, and a couple heavy duty ratchet tie downs. The frame has a tendency to open up just enough so the rivets or bolts won't line back up. Good Luck!

John

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
yes the Chev cross member is the same for 6 and v8, except if it had a v8 then there were 2 brackets riveted to the back of the cross member to mount the v8 [cuz shorter than the 235] - the kits available from the vendors that's called 'original style' v8 mounts includes the frame brackets that you bolt on [rivet holes should be present], along with the pegs and small brackets that bolt to the front of a small block - you'll also need a fan shroud or it'll overheat at low speed cuz the fan's too far back

and yes, I think the cross members are too different to work installing a 283 the same way in a GMC - you could use whatever the GMC v8 was for 58 tho!!

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0