The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln, Bill Hanlon, Otto Skorzeny), 175 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 52
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 52
Does anyone have an opinion on installing A/C on the old style low pressure 235?

I'm wondering if the 95 hp can handle it?

I'm assuming that you would turn off the compressor on hills and on fast acceleration (getting on expressway).

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I ran an A/C with a Sanden compressor on my 216 for several years and never had any engine power issues.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
Its not the HP you have to worry about, its the cooling. If your radiator is in good shape the engine will pull it. Patricks has sold a kit for the installation for about 20 years.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
When I was younger my neighbor got a new 56, 6cyl 235 auto with air, when he would turn it on it would loose about 5 mph on flat ground. But today we have more compact compresors with a lot less drag.


You Learn more Listening than Talking
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
How do you handle the drop in idle speed when it comes on?


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 64
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 64
you install an idle up solenoid. take one off a newer engine and wire it to the a/c compressor clutch hot wire. it manually moves the throttle linkage @ carburator; mounts to the carburator as well


everybody is ignorant @ something.the more we work together, the less ignorance there is floating around
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Thanks, I was wondering how that was taken care of.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0