The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (rfs56trk, Guitplayer), 78 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,566
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
On my '58 I'm doing a 6 cylinder to 283 V8 conversion and I'm keeping the same trans. I have a 55-59 V8 bellhousing but I'm looking for the correct flywheel. I believe the original would take a 10" clutch, is that correct? Is a passenger car flywheel the same as 1/2 ton pickup? Anyone know what interchanges? What about tooth count?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Mike
------
1958 Chevy 3200 Fleetside
1958 GMC 100 Wideside
------
Did you get free advice today? To donate to this site using PayPal is fast and EZ. Click here: http://www.stovebolt.com/office/thanks.html
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
I'm sure there were different ones offered, like 10, 10.5 and 11, and yes, the car and truck should interchange if both had standard trans - someone might have a parts book to say for sure, but I think the flywheel will be the same up into the 350 years, and the starters are all interchangeable, so teeth will be the same

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
Thanks Bill, I have an opportunity to pick up a flywheel. The fellow has two, one for an 11" clutch and one for a 10.5". Does anyone know, will an 11" clutch fit with my factory bellhousing, clutch fork, etc.? Or does it make a difference. I'd like to go with the 11" if it will clear everything.

Chevy Duty lists clutches but only 10" or 11", no 10.5". hmmmm...

I just found out that the 10"" clutch was usually used with my 3 spd, Is there any reason why I couldn't go with the 11"?


Mike
------
1958 Chevy 3200 Fleetside
1958 GMC 100 Wideside
------
Did you get free advice today? To donate to this site using PayPal is fast and EZ. Click here: http://www.stovebolt.com/office/thanks.html
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
I've always run an 11 inch clutch on my trucks;there's plenty of room for the lower bolts.The 11 incher has been available for a long time in pretty near all GM's cars and trucks,and for my money it's worthwhile to go with the biggest clutch I can get.(I know-it's overkill,but if it makes the difference between having enough grip or not,even once,it's paid for itself.) BTW-my parts man tells me an LUK 12" diaphragm clutch will fit anywhere an 11" will,and is less money. The part # he gave me is 04-064.$148.13-Complete kit. Might be worth a look.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
the red58 has an 11", all works fine - throwout fork is the same for all, as is bellhouse

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 424
Thanks you guys! I've certainly received a lot of help here is the last few days. I sure appreciate it.

rfs58trk (Fred), a check is in the mail to you for that clutch fork. Thanks again for your help. I may be calling you again sometime for more advice as long as you don't mind.


Mike
------
1958 Chevy 3200 Fleetside
1958 GMC 100 Wideside
------
Did you get free advice today? To donate to this site using PayPal is fast and EZ. Click here: http://www.stovebolt.com/office/thanks.html

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0