The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Mr Wilson, IHPWR, David Bush), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,472
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 235
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 235
I might be dreaming, but I thought there was something about taking a distributor apart and using a screwdriver to turn everything over and check for correct oiling and what not. If I'm correct, can someone point me to where I can find info on how to do that, and if I'm not - was it the oil pump or something? (I really think it had something to do with the distributor though).

Thanks


'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The distributor is driven by the camshaft and in turn, it drives the oil pump. If you remove the distributor, you sill see that the bottom of the shaft looks like a large slot screwdriver. If you put a shaft with a similar end in a drill into the distrutor hole and seat it into the oil pump, you can turn the pump and generate oil pressure. You could do this and watch for oil to run out the rocker arm shaft.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
7
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
7 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
If you have an old distributor, you can strip the cap, rotor, and everything else off of it, and then grind the gear right off the shaft. I did that to prime my 230 build last year, it worked very very well.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 235
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 235
so from what I read, I could either use a screw driver, or basically, turn the distributor into a screw driver by grinding the gear off of the shaft which would seat exactly where its supposed to.

I do have an old distributor I'm not going to use. I guess the question is, is would I be risking anything by just using the screw driver - like stripping out whatever it goes into (its not like I've never stripped a flat head screw!).

What do you think?


'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
I use a piece of 1/2" diameter round stock, and grind/file a flat tang on the end to duplicate the bottom of the distributor shaft. That way, there's no question of the shaft fitting into the oil pump drive properly. Just spin the shaft clockwise with a 1/2" capacity drill motor until you feel the drill load down- - - -it's very obvious when you get oil pressure. Have someone spin the engine with the starter for a few seconds if you want to distribute the pressurized oil evenly. Be sure the oil pressure port is plugged, or the gauge is connected- - - -it's surprising how far that little fitting can squirt oil!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
There isn't any risk using a screwdriver shaft in the drill. When I first worked on my 235 years ago, I took a solid steel curtain rod, cut it to a good length, and ground a flat screwdriver type end on it. It worked great! An old mechanic friend showed me that.
Samantha


1954 Chevy 3100
Picked from the Field
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Take the cam gear off a old distributor by tapping out the attachment pin (after grinding one end of the pin). You can then rotate the pump using an electric drill or air drill and a 6-sided socket over the rotor shaft.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 227
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 227
An air drill works better.....electric drills tend to burn out the brushes under load.
If you use an electric drill, watch that it does not get hot or start to smoke!


"It's not a wreck......It's a natural resource!"
Quote-Doc Bob circa 2006

DOCS CLASSIC GARAGE
Specializing in Hot Rods,
Customs & Street Machines.
My pictures at..........
1936 Chev 1/2-Ton Holden Body


confused? http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 137
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 137
Summit sells one that fits for a chevy. Cost is like $12. Hook it up to a drill and it works like a charm. I marked the top of mine to line up the slot for stabbing the dizzy back in.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 235
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 235
any idea where I'd find that on their site? I did a search for distributor under tools. Thanks


'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Someone else will have to identify the one(s) that work:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=oil%20pump%20primer&dds=1



Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
An old pushrod with the socket end cut off and the ball end flattened works well especially with a pneumatic drill.



1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 69
Z
New Guy
New Guy
Z Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 69
we just cut an old screw driver and used that. a guy restring an early 1950's corvette with the 235 said that it works well


2000 Nissan Frontier, 3.3L (sold)
2006 Chevy Cobalt SS, 2.4L
1952 Chevy 1/2 pickup, 235 c.i. I6
when life speeds up, downshift
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 35
you guys all need to join todays tool market!!! harbor freight has a distributor oil primer tool that does this job very well when used with a common drill, sells for around $12..................

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 137
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 137
Right here

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Department/Tools-Shop-Equipment/Part-Type/Oil-Pump-Primers/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

sdsmooth & Project Helen,

What would be the part numbers?

Thanks,

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 137
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 137
For a SBC here is the part #.. Sorry price went up to $19 but all ball bearing, a nice tool to own

Summit Racing SUM-901010

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 235
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 235
Ok, am I missing something? The end of the distributor shaft is flat, which is why I'm assuming people are saying its ok to use a screwdriver shaft. The end of this tool looks round to me, shouldn't the end be flat, like a screwdriver? What am I not getting?


'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

What size engine, Paul? I assumed a 216/235/261 (sorry)?

The SBC tool will most likely not work in a stovebolt engine (if it will, maybe someone will confirm this)?

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 323
Be careful My son smoked my 18 volt Dewalt priming a v8




These old bolts are in my blood. Hard thing is focusing on just one.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel
1953 GMC 2 ton. future car hauler

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 176
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 176
Why would you spend 10-20 dollars on a tool which may or may not work instead of making one for free in less time than it would take to order the other off the internet?

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
7
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
7 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
I agree with "kingisomer". The tool is cheap, but can very easily be made for free in a few minutes. Any flat slotted end will work fine. You just want it to be able to spin quick (hence putting your drill on the end of it), and not bounce around loosely, as that will chew up the end of the oil pump, and perhaps the shaft that the distributor sits in. You obviously want it to remain oil tight afterwards.

Don't worry too much about burning out your drill; as "Hotrod Lincoln" mentioned, it is VERY obvious once that pressure is built up, and you can stop at that point.

Hope that simplifies it for you.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 235
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 235
its a 235 - appreciate the help


'53 Chevy 3604 Five Window Cab ('56 235)
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
I used 1/2" shaft a grinder and small piece of copper tube to keep it centered on the pump shaft. I usually use a 1/2" drill. on high pressure / high volume pumps, you can just about stall the drill, so you know when you have pressure.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0