The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 136 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#62470 07/02/2006 11:12 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 14
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 14
If an engine is not cranked for 2 or 3 years can the oil pump loose its prime?

#62471 07/02/2006 11:27 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 248
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 248
Not that I've ever heard about. As long as the pick up tube is below the oil level it should pump oil. If not I would suggest that the oil pump is bad.


Daily Driver 63 C-10 LWB Fleetside
#62472 07/02/2006 11:40 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 14
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 14
Texmo,
Thanks for the reply. I replaced the oil pump and sending unit in 2001.It ran great for a couple of years.( I only drove it 2 or 3 times a year,just trying to keep it alive; so the oil pump couldnt have over 50 miles on it))For unforseen reasons it sat idle for 3 years. one week ago I put a battery in it ,cleaned the points, and replaced the ignition coil. It cranked without much of a fight, but the oil light is not going off. Any suggestions?

#62473 07/03/2006 12:54 AM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 132
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 132
Try this, It only costs a filter. Remove the oil filter, fill the new one with oil before installing, it. Your filter has probably drained dry and caused the pump to fill with air also. The filter full of oil may be enough to get it pumping again. But, you have to be quick to get the filter on before all the oil runs out!.

#62474 07/03/2006 1:19 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 14
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 14
Thanks KENC, I'll try that tommorrow afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes.

#62475 07/03/2006 1:19 AM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
i had a 235 that did that.i bought an underdash oil guage.it turned out to be the sender for the light.

#62476 07/03/2006 1:38 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 14
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 14
Thanks zenish, is there a tool made for reading/checking oil pressure? Many auto parts stores in my area loan tools. I wonder if that would be an option?

#62477 07/03/2006 3:04 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
Check with your local auto parts store for a cheap mechanical oil pressure gauge. There are lots of them to choose from. You won't need much over 60 psi. At the back of the engine on the passenger side, down close to the oil pan is where the senders are located. You can screw a gauge right in to the block and have a helper watch it when you start the truck.

The oil in the filter is a good idea, but an even easyer one is to squirt oil in the the block with the filter removed. It will be the outer hole, the center hole is filtered oil going out to the engine, the outer hole is from the pump.

http://surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?U...rd=yes&search=oil%20pressure%20gauge

Check the above link for gauges, Joe

#62478 07/03/2006 6:33 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 31
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 31
Hi rsl-dixie-

I'm a new guy to so let me know if I'm off my rocker- I was always taught that before you start an engine that has been sitting a long time, it's wise to pull the distributor and run the oil pump manually. I use a 3/8" OAK dowel trimmed down to a fat blade, and drive it with an electric drill. For me the pump spun real easy at first until it primed, then with the lid off the oil filter I could see when the oil started to circulate. I put the lid back on, and the rocker cover off, and waited until oil started coming out of the rockers before I start the engine up. Seems to me if you did the same you could feel how the oil pump is running, and tell if you have a blockage somewhere. Anyway, a newbie's $.02 worth.
-Warren


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0