The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Barry Martak, Otto Skorzeny, Hawkman, stlcardinalsguy, MickeyP, Oswald), 113 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,414
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I've been stuck in my share of traffic with a manual, and don't see the problem...
I'll admit it's not great fun with a loaded trailer, but not difficult or a reason for me to buy an automatic.
In fact I like having a good selection of gears to inch along at an idle if necessary, and no need to give it any fuel, just ease the clutch out and go, and tap the gas and slip it into neutral to stop, for the most part the whole stuck in traffic thing with a manual can be done only using the brake intermittently. With an automatic in the same situation you could be half on the brake most of the time, miles and miles in some situations.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by Grigg
I've been stuck in my share of traffic with a manual, and don't see the problem...
Part of the difference in how we see that may be that my knees are a couple decades older than yours.

I rarely drive a manual truck in traffic. Most likely if I'm stuck in traffic I'm in my manual transmission Corvette. Having to full-stroke that pedal a lot quickly leads to knee pain which extended long enough leads to difficulty controlling the clutch as finely as I'd like.

Its not big deal in my usual commute but if I have to enter or exit the big city during peak traffic I'd regret taking that car because of the manual transmission and the clutch. And yeah I've been thinking of replacing it with an automatic.

That Corvette experience does impact my thinking when considering what I'd prefer in a truck I'm building or buying.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
I can clearly understand health problems being a problem with a manual, but as far as traffic goes, a manual was never much of a negative to me. As an option, one could always hold back a car length or two before proceeding. Some behind you may not like it, but there is no law against it and you will still get there the same other than a lane jumper now and then.

Bill


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
With the right idle speed/torque converter combination, power brakes and a smooth operating throttle, an automatic in traffic can be painless even with a heavy load.

Automatic or manual, traffic jam or not, I'm one who likes to leave lots of room between me and the car ahead. Even with four-wheel disk brakes I don't like relying on the brakes to work instantly. The trucks I drive have good brakes and so does my trailer, but I don't want to be caught by surprise and not have room to avoid a collision.

I hadn't thought of my knee problems as health problems but I suppose they really are.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,726
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,726
So far I don't see any compelling arguments one way or the other -- it comes down to personal preference. I own three 1-tons. Two ('49 Chevy and an '85 Ford) are manuals and one (my '95 Dodge Cummins 3500) is an automatic. My personal preference is that the automatic is nicer for cruising and the manuals are just more fun.

On the military trucks, though ... I find it interesting that that the Army (lead agency for development and acquisition of the basic prime movers) has flip-flopped over the years between autos and manual transmissions on the basic Deuces and 5-tons.

CCKW -- Manual
M-135 -- Auto
M-35 -- Manual
M-939 -- Auto

Having taken the course and getting the license to drive an M-35 (as well as a Humvee, CUCV and other assorted vehicles, but not the M-939), and having driven HUMVEEs, M-35s and 44-pax buses in 3rd world places like Korea, Japan, Okinawa, Thailand, Indianapolis, etc ... the manual is WAY more fun. In traffic in the Pohang (ROK) "Circle of Death," though ... I'd rather have an auto smile

I like having a choice.

John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
I just bought another 1-ton. It's a '72 C-30.

...with a 4-Speed.

Bill


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Whatever makes you happy Bill!

Single or dual wheel? Pictures? What motor?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 49
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 49
I don't personally see a difference once you start driving, to be honest. At a certain point, it becomes entirely automatic (Especially on models like my '89 Chevy which tell you when to shift ...) on manuals, and an automatic just removes knee pain after a long day. Like John said, choice is great. As for traffic ... can't say I've been there, don't live near a big city any more.


1959 Chevrolet 3100 Stepside Apache
"Ignorance is bliss. Here's a history book."
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by 59 rolling iron
an automatic just removes knee pain after a long day
If that were the only difference it often would be enough for me.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 49
5
New Guy
New Guy
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 49
True, true ... Probably, unless you're talking about a big-rig, the auto trannies built recently are just as durable. And I bet pains are a great motivator ... great thing about being young, I do suppose.


1959 Chevrolet 3100 Stepside Apache
"Ignorance is bliss. Here's a history book."
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by 59 rolling iron
great thing about being young, I do suppose.
Being young has some perks, but for most people it doesn't last, and the alternative to getting old isn't real attractive to most people...


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
Originally Posted by OldSub
Single or dual wheel? Pictures? What motor?


It's a Dual Rear Wheel, Short Chassis, 10 Ft Steel Flat Bed. It was originally a 350 and now has a newer 350. Will have some pictures soon, but will need help posting them. ....limited computer knowledge.

I'm well satisified with it but it has the Chrome package and no Cab Lights. I would rather have the Cab Lights and no Chrome, lol.

Bill


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
Interesting thread.

My family and I own 6 trucks. 3 of the 4 trucks that I personally own are manual. My new GMC Serria of course is an automatic. Still I prefer to drive my older trucks with the manual transmissions.

I guess it's because driving a manual makes me feel like part of the truck. The control is with me and it feels real. I get bored in the GMC and after 7 months I cannot get attached to it. Its weird, most of the time the new GMC sits there while I drive the older manual trucks!

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Iron Clad are all six of those trucks 1-tons?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I know where you are going!!

Reading thru the posts I did see mention motor cycles, a bus in there somewhere, a 2 ton, etc.....

Oh, my largest is a 3/4 ton.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
LOL!

Yes the thread has deviated somewhat from my original question. They often do that.

I seem to remember once riding a motorcycle with an automatic. I'm pretty sure it was a Honda but I don't recall if it was a 750 or a Gold Wing or maybe even a Silver Wing. It would have been a long time ago and I wasn't impressed.

Its clear that opinions vary on this issue and I don't think anyone has changed any minds with their arguments.

The manual I drive most often is my Corvette and its sure not rated as a 1-ton. And its clutch is one of the reasons I don't drive it more often. My knees are getting old!

I prefer my knees not hurt and that is driving me more and more to automatics. And I suspect issues like mine will mean more of you who prefer manuals will eventually migrate to automatics. Perhaps some will never have bad knees or other problems, but as each of us ages we are more likely to appreciate things like an automatic and aging is therefore more likely to win converts to my preference than logic...


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I hear ya OldSub, my knees are starting to feel the age as well.

Hopefully I will have a 1 ton some day. Never know, it may happen sooner than later!!

The one goal I have first is to prepare my '60 for the trip though, but that shouldn't take too long.

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
This reminds me of my sister-in-law's husband's story. He was always a Stick Shift guy. One day I went over to his house and there sat a new Dodge Diesel, 3/4 ton Pick-up. When I saw him in the house I said with a little enthusiasm "Did you get the 5-Speed"??!! He said "naw, when I get out of work I'm tired (he had a non-physical job) and I'm too tired to shift and blah, blah, blah". Soon after I roofed a house. A good size cape, with no help. I have problems with pain in my feet when I'm in the roofing position all day, not to mention my knees as well as a tired back hauling shingles up the ladder all day. When I was riding back home going thru the city one night, I hit every red light. Every shift was painful. I sat there at the red light thinking about him and got a laugh out of it. As I continued on down the road shifting away, I thought about what he said and I said to myself "I sure love my clutch and shifter". ...yeah I know hard core, but that's how I like it.

Bill


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Yea Bill I think I understand some of how you feel.

Last time I was involved in roofing a house was more than 15 years ago and it was pretty hard on a guy who sits at a desk all day. Much as I complain about the knees, and have chosen automatics over manuals, I like the pain in my hands that I get from working out in my shop.

Its not that I enjoy the hurt, but that the hurt is very satisfying because I know I did something to earn it. I don't know why I feel differently about the clutch, perhaps its because there are options that don't hurt, where the only way to avoid the pain of arthritis is to have someone else do the work and that is not satisfying at all.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0