The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shade Baby, Mike'sPlace, carbking, 1 invisible), 118 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#621379 02/19/2010 5:25 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
I have a 1954 chevy 235 thats bored 60 over. I plan on putting a dual carb intake and fenton headers on the engine. I was thinking about getting a Howard's performance grind cam Patrick's and just want to hear thoughts from others on what might be a better choice or cheaper. Also, a regrind probably isn't going to work as my cam has some bad pitting on the lobes.

Thanks for your help, Thomas.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I've got an M4F Howard cam from Patrick's in mine, and am very happy with it.
This is what mine sounds like.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 547
I went with Clay Smith Cams. They did a custom grind for $200 or a little more. I told them what I had and the specs of different thing(they have a questionar you fill out) and tell them what you want, low end torque ect... and the grind it to specs.


58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 9
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 9
Apache Friend,
What lift and duration did you go with? I'm looking at getting a clay smith and with my setup, he's recommended a .525 lift with 276 duration. Here's what i'm running:
three carter singles through an offenhauser intake
dual exhaust into 2" pipes with smithy's mufflers
235 cu. bored .030 over
milled head, maybe .020

Any advice?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
themmer...I have the 3/4 race cam from Patrick's and I wouldn't buy it again. Please understand that it always comes down to what one expects and wants. Mine is just too rough for my taste which is for a lot of power but a good idle factor which is what I don't have. Patrick Dykes is a great guy however and I would not hesitate to do business with him. I have no idea of the particular spec's but don't care anyway as I am not that profound as an engine builder. I think one should always go with the expert recommendations IF they understand what you want and expect.

And remember Jackson these are I-6's not V8's so don't get caught up in the big cam game as it's another set of rules.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0