The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Bill Hanlon, Bogart's Truck, TexasA&M48Truck, Donf, 2 invisible), 87 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,369
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#617097 02/05/2010 8:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 61
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 61
My mechanic suggested i replace the rocker arm shafts in my 216 engine because there is some visible wear to the shafts. I got a set from Bowtie Bits.

The issue is that my mechanic pointed out that the bottom of the shaft is slightly ground along the length of the shaft( please see photos ). Our old set of shafts does not have the underneath grinded. Does anyone happen to know why? My mechanic thought that perhaps this was an improvement... that GM or someone determined that the oil will flow better with that area grinded down a little.

We're concerned that with the grinded area, the oil wont spread around as its intended to do.

I appreciate your input as always.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/union4487/sets/72157623358552886/


'51 Chevrolet 3100 216 5-Window
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I can't tell you why it is that way but I don't think I would hesitate to use it either if it appears to be a new one and not remanufactured.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
One of my GM manuals explains the origin of that grind. They started that when hydraulic lifters came in because the rocker was in constant contact and they want to oil the area better. I put one like that on my 216 and the oil still goes all over as required. I also thought that if I didn't like it I could drill the oil holes through and install it upside down. I don't think it would have any affect on the top.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Fred, if you happen to run across that explanation in you GM manual post it would you please. I wasn't aware of that and would like to ad it to my reference file.
Thanks
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Never mind!! I got out the January, 1950 Chevrolet Sevice News and on page 5 it explaines it. As you said, the aditional pressure of the hydralic lifters called for additional oil flow to the bottom of the bearing surface. Thanks for remembering that.

Last edited by Denny Graham; 02/06/2010 3:46 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 61
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 61
You guys are amazing. Is this the page you're referring to? http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/bulletins/50csn0105.htm Thanks again!

Last edited by chevnky; 02/06/2010 4:33 PM.

'51 Chevrolet 3100 216 5-Window
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 61
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by panic
Sorry, I can't make sense of this.
Given, that extra oil is desired to the rockers because of the continuous spring pressure (no "lash" interval), and that they wanted to distribute the oil to the bottom (load bearing area) of the rockers.
Both rocker shafts are continuously fed by the distributor block in the center, and they feed each adjacent pair of rockers through a single hole.
A flat or groove along the length connecting the hole to the inside of the 2 rockers will deliver more oil, but the groove should not extend beyond the edge of the rocker on either side. If the groove reaches this point, the pressure is lost, and the oil will always take the shortest path: out the sides, instead of into the rocker bushing. This means that the rockers closest to the distributor (#3 & 4 intake) gets more oil, the rocker next to it ($3 & 4 exhaust) gets some, and the other 8 rockers farther away (at cylinders 1, 2, 5, 6) get less than before.
The rockers I've examined all have a radial groove to distribute oil inside the shaft hole - but not to the edge. The "squirt" hole on top is not connected to the groove.
The RAS shafts have "banana" grooves that connect each pair of rockers to the original shaft hole - but not to the edge.

Possible explanations:
1. it's not an original shaft, and was made by someone who doesn't understand how it works ("I'll just save some time by making a single groove").
2. it's an original shaft, but a machining error (why it wasn't sold)
3. there are more parts needed to do this
4. ???

Well this was the exact concern of my mechanic. Youve brought up a great point that the shafts could be machining errors. Im hearing about 60% of the responses say Im ok to use these shafts with the grind, and 40% say they're not sure if they will be OK.


'51 Chevrolet 3100 216 5-Window
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The rocker tube is not under pressure, so to speak. It is fed by a pipe that has an opening or overflow below the top of the tube. The tube cannot completely fill up. So oil is pumped into the tube and it leaks out all over. The flat area on the outside bottom of the tube makes sure that the rocker bearing points get lots of oil.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
This is where I came in.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 6
Hey chevnky. My computer knowledge is sadly limited. Where are you at in Ky? Im in northeast Ky. Give me a call sometime. 606 757 3418 thanks noone


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0