The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Patharr, Gdads51, Shade Baby, DadsFirstPickup), 96 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,311
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#616319 02/03/2010 4:35 AM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 67
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 67
Has anyone rebuilt wheel cylinders for a 41 G506? The Vehicles of victory fellow has rebuild kits and offers new/rebuilt wheel cylinders. Do you guys think I would be ok with a rebuild kit? Anyone have any experience, advice to offer?

Just some background: I am planning on adding a power booster w/dual master and have the shoes relined at the local truck repair shop. However, I'm looking close to $800 by the time I buy new wheel cylinders $85 ea,spring kit, adjusters and have the shoes relined. Any ideas to cut cost?


1937 Chevy (converted to 4x4)
1942 Chevy G506 1.5 ton 4x4
1958 Mack B model (on Chevy 1 ton 4x4 frame)
1969 Dodge Charger
1987 K30 Crewcab
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 113
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 113
Truth be told I've never done a 41 G506, but I've done a bunch of other types and sizes of wheel cylinders. I would disassemble the wheel cylinders. Remove from backing plate, use air pressure to blow out the pucks. I like to wrap them in a rag to prevent parts and old fluid form flying. Sometimes if I get nervous I blow em out in a gallon can. More aggressive means may be necessary. If the bores are in good shape and not pitted, I'd rebuild them. If not, replace them. I don't know the quality of the new ones. Thing is these are parts you are really going to depend on, so it's your call. Have fun............

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
I second the above. Essentially, your life as well as those around you are at stake...SO,

If the bores are fine and there isn't any pitting that you can't remove with really fine sanding, then use them.

If pitting exists, suffer the expense and buy the complete cylinders.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If these are the Huck style brakes, I do have a caution. I put new ones on the front and the threads failed on one of the cylinders. The threads were not as heaviy as the originals and they had a very loose fit. I had the rears sleeved and rebuilt. Sometimes the adjuster tabs are broken. Also if you end up driving the insides out, use something that rests on the outside of the pistons. It is really easy to break through the center of them.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 67
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 67
I 'm not sure what "Huck Style" brakes are - But thanks for the advice.

I think I'll get it apart and see what I've got. Anyone have a web address details/diagram?


1937 Chevy (converted to 4x4)
1942 Chevy G506 1.5 ton 4x4
1958 Mack B model (on Chevy 1 ton 4x4 frame)
1969 Dodge Charger
1987 K30 Crewcab
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
If the pistons are stuck inside the cylinder they can be safely removed with hydraulic pressure from a greese gun. The greese gun method will not harm the pistons or the spring inside.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0