The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (baldeagle, Shade Baby, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,336
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#615810 02/01/2010 10:39 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Went to NAPA to try to buy a water pump for the 1956 235" in my 49 half ton. This pump has an external impeller which goes into a large hole in the block.
NAPA has photos on their web site of the pumps which helps greatly.
The pump which fits later model 235" with the external impeller (like mine) has a 5.25 inch shaft, measured from the mounting surface to the hub.
The other pumps which have the impeller intenal and covered with a flat plate measure 4.125".
I ordered the former but when I measured my shaft length it was much less than 5.25". Therefore there must be another pump available like mine but with a shorter shaft. I do not think mine was modified because it was done more than 12 years ago and I wonder if they even modified them back then.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I used napas #58-126 (1953-1955 235 chevy car 3/8" pulley) water pump coupled to predaves adapter plate in my 1951 suburban.I have a 1956 235 engine in it.I think there is about 3/8" to 1/2" clearance between the fan blade and the radiator.I can check if you need to know the exact measurement.

Can you post some pictures of your water pump ?

Thanks,Tim


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Tim the pump is still in the truck but if you go to the NAPA web site and look for 1956 water pump for Chevrolet you will see it. Its the one with the 5.25" shaft listing and has an exposed impeller.
I understand that Patrick's makes the pump the way mine is.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I have the stock water pump that came off of the 1956 235 car engine that is in my suburban.I understand what you are describing.I purchased the adapter plate and the short shaft water pump to properly place it with the radiator.I'm not familiar with Patrick's water pump.



1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
The way I understand the adapter plate is that it blocks the big hole in the 235 block and the pump with the internal impellers can be used.
I understand that Patrick's pump is the same as mine but with a shorter shaft.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Originally Posted by olblu49
I do not think mine was modified because it was done more than 12 years ago and I wonder if they even modified them back then.

"They" have been modifying the later pumps ever since the first "they" installed a later engine in an older truck. We used to have to do it ourselves. Now you can buy them already done. If you can find a 292 Ford pulley and have access to a press you can do it yourself and save a bundle.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Cletis #615973 02/02/2010 10:48 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 121
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 121
Just an aside, Napa part number WP-5815 shows that it is COUNTER CLOCKWISE rotation I hope this is a type-o

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Cletis can you explain the process a bit more please. I assume (bad word I know) that once you have pressed the pulley farther down the shaft tou would cut the remainder off.
Why a Ford 292 pulley?


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The Ford pulley is close to the diameter you need. The pulley on the 216 is too small which will cause the pump to run too fast. There are other pulleys with the same bolt holes and larger diameter but I don't know specifically what vehicle they came on. You need one with a diameter close to the pulley originally on your engine.

After pushing the hub closer to the pump the excess shaft can be cut off with a cutting disk.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0