I am halfway through doing the grille on my '47- the grille is not so much of the focus of the look of the truck, but I want it right.
I bought a repo grille from Jim Carter- they are the only supplier I could find with the larger truck grille. My original grille was rusted and smashed in.
It is millimetres different in width, this is not a big issue. I was going to buy a chrome one but I phoned them and they were out of them- they had to send some back due to imperfect chrome.
So I bought a plain steel one.
A local electroplater estimated $100-150 per bar- 5 bars. Thats show quality and it will last 50 years he says. He has a good reputation.
The front bar and the splashbacks are a poor fit with up to 2mm difference at the seam where they meet.
Each bar needs about two hours work with dolly, hammers, files and sandpaper to prepare for chrome. They are not near as good as the originals.
That said, they will do, and they just need work. I am far too picky for my own good.
If you have an original grille then I think its best to recover it if you can. Repairs: I brazed up the rust in the supports that I had to reuse. Dont overlook this old school way- it was so easy compared to any welding and I found it easy to flow and build the braze. The electroplater recommended any oxyacetylene welding over any electric, said it creates good smooth welds that are never porous and cause him trouble.
And get ready: the cost of my grille will be ten percent of the entire truck full restoration. They dont come cheap.
good luck.