The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Rusty Rod, Bisbee, walter74), 105 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,437
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#614548 01/29/2010 1:13 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
Are the blower motor wires on a fresh air system routed along side the motor through its own hole in the fiewall?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I do not recall that a wire goes through the firewall?

One wire is probably for power from the fan/blower-switch mounted on the dash.

The other wire is probably a ground wire (attach it to a screw into any cab sheet metal - a screw into a hole in the firewall would be fine).

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
Thanks Tim! I bought a 12v blower motor and a reostat type switch from jim carter,but I never saw how the old one was hooked up.Jimmy

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Here is a clear picture of the wiring. Lead from motor to switch/power. Ground to heater casing.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2950341320102454676ylsmYY

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
Thanks Brad thats a good shot of what I have.The replacment 12volt I bought also is a two wire and I now understand that one wire is a ground to the heater case or fire wall, but which way or how does the power wire find its way to the dash mounted switch? Jimmy

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Jimmy, here is a picture of my stock 6v Harrison fresh air heater which shows the wire connections clearly.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/121512986 The hot lead is terminated in a bayonet connector where it connects to the lead that goes to the heater switch.
In case you’re interested here are a few more pictures of it in various stages of disassembly.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/harrison_h-02-47
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 01/30/2010 3:21 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
Denny that was in nice shape, mine was a rust bucket! I had to do the core and control valve.I used the hammertone dark bronze because it matched my carpet,seat and door panels which are more gray than tan.I also had to get a new blower motor and barrel fan, sorry to say it's plastic, but it was all I could find.I got one of the repop GMC emblem/medalions from jim carter.It looks good, but I had to glue it on because it was made like a dome without the bendable ears to fix it to the heater box.Good pictures! Do you have any of the switch and wires.My originals were missing so I bought the reostat type also from jim carter. Thanks jimmy

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Ask and ye shall receive sayeth Loui; http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/electrical&page=2
It’s pretty straightforward Jimmy, pick up a hot wire from the ign. switch to the heater switch then straight to the bayonet connector to the motor which is grounded by a 4”pigtail to a SM screw on the back of the housing. That’s it.
The original switch for the AD Fresh Air Heater would have been a two-speed toggle switch. They are no longer available and not being reproduced so most of the guys use the earlier rotary switch which you can get from any of the vendors as you're doing.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 01/31/2010 1:36 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 95
Thanks Denny!! A picture is worth a thousand words,in this case ten thousand.I see what my problem is now. On the original 6volt motor the wires are fully inside the cab when the fresh air is mounted.On the replacement 12volt which is longer the wires are outside in the engine bay past the round motor seal.Sometimes I wonder if these guys that make repops and sell them as direct replacements have ever seen the original parts!Until now I had never seen an original fan switch! Simple,solid,and the perfect look for the truck which is why they aren't reproduced, makes mine look like a piece of junk.I'll be searching for one of those new old stock. Jimmy

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 72
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 72
Denny, what size fuse do you have in that switch? I need to get my wiring connected as well and these pictures are excellent! Thanks!


Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Don't know what belongs there for sure Kato, I have an SFE14 in mine at 6v. I'll see if I can find the spec somewhere.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0