Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,078 Posts1,056,285 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 | Could someone please direct me to a source for rebuilding my steering box and the bearings up the shaft to the steering wheel.
Thanks - Scott
55 1st Chev.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 |
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,224 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,224 | Thats a great book Dave !
The '41-'46 gear box I used is just like that, and even the old '37 gear box is close enough you could use the same procedure. Anyone thinking about steering box adjustment or repair should copy this link.
Joe | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 384 | Pre69Dave, This is just great! Thanks! It looks do able by untrained personel (me)
Scott
55 1st Chev.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | And you’re right guys, and anyone can copy that book or any of them and print them out when they start their rebuild. And it’s all free at that, right!
Ok, time for me to get up on my soapbox. I know this is gonna sound like one of those PBS fund raisers, and I hope I don’t get anyone mad at me for opening my big yap without getting permission first, but here goes.
I don’t know Keith Hardy, never met him but I have used his TOCMP site literally hundreds of times and have used it for about four years now to build one heck of a reference library for my restoration hobby. I just don’t think you can say enough about people like him and all those volunteers that have taken the time to scan/edit/post all that material to the archive. And while I’ve got the floor, I’d like to remind everyone that we’re all guests here on the Stovebolt also. And god only knows I’ve used this platform to voice my opinions and ask my questions just about everyday for the last few years. I also don’t know Peg or John, never had the pleasure of meeting either one of them yet, but I am constantly aware that they are in the background maintaining the site along with their team of volunteers.
It takes a lot of work to maintain these sites, and I don’t know what the costs are but you can bet it’s not cheap keeping the servers up and running 24/7. I’ve never heard any of these guys ask for a donation, they leave it entirely up to our conscience. So I for one am gonna start the year off right and kick in a couple of bucks to both the sites in hopes that it will help keep them healthy for another year and that they may grow even better than they are. Just ask yourself whether you’ve benefited from either site and if so then see if you can skip that burger tomorrow and throw a few bucks their way.
Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2009 Posts: 1,644 | | | | | | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 608 | Thanks Denny, Said The Right Way. Sometimes we all forget how this started and how it gets maintained. Stuff that gets taken for granted. Regards, Steve Sr. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | Hi all, I have a 1957 Chevy 1/2 ton truck. How do I change out the mast jacket bearing in the steering column?
Thanks for any help,
Jon 1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | It is hard to change without destroying it, unless the box is apart. What is wrong with yours?
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | no worry about destroying it if ya got a new one to install Jon - note how it has a slight lip on the top end, just use a slot screwdriver tip to gently tap it up, working around the column, lay the new one in and use a piece of pipe or socket that fits to tap it down - I've replaced them that don't take much more than hand pressure
Bill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | Hey guys, Well, the bearing I think is still fine. The problem is my perfectionist way of restoring the truck. The original brown wire is in bad shape. That is the real reason I want to change it out. I bought a new mast jacket from Classic Parts..and of course I was not impressed with the after market item the wire is black and it should be brown. I do have an NOS mast jacket and maybe I will just use that one... Thank you for the help guys..I will try to pull out the other one this weekend. Jon 1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 203 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 203 | Wish I had that manual when I did mine. Pictures are always better than a paragraph.
Dave
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | yup I agree...guys are more visual learners...at least I am! must be from our caveman days. 1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 164 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 164 | get brown shrink wrap and heat it and presto, you have a brown wire | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | Got the old mast out and the NOS mast in without a hitch. Was very easy to change out.
Thank you all!
Jon 1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | |
| |