The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Bisbee, Rusty Rod), 115 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,437
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#609146 01/11/2010 4:42 PM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 40
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 40
I finally found a T -5 to put behind my 235 , thanks for all the help. I couldn't do it without all of the input from you guys. I have read a lot on the web about people using auto trans fluid ? I put 80-90 oil ( not synthetic ) what is the best choice ?

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Run the numbers on your T5 to see if it is a world class. It may have a sticker on it with recommendations for the type of fluid, you should follow them. Check out this site.
http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
I have a non-world class T-5 from an '89 S-10 and also run Dexron II as per the '89 Chev shop manual. As was stated above, run the numbers to identify the vehicle it came from, then get a manual for it and read what it says about the tranny lube. I found the '89 Chev manual at the public library.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
There has been some questions raised about the T5 lubricant so being who I am.......I've run the 80-90 weight in my used NWC (brass synchro rings) T-5 for the past 10,000 miles. It had gear lube in it initially and when I first drained and checked it for metallic particles both ferrous and non-ferrous, I found none. The transmission shifts smoothly, is quiet and the only difference I've noticed is that when the temperature gets down into the 40-50's before the engine warms up, the cold transmission shifts are initially a little stiffer. Having checked for metals at 5000 miles I found none.

On a used NWC (brass syncro rings)Hybrid Camaro T5 for my next project, the transmission came with Dextron ATF. Ditto on the negative check for metals in the fluid. I refilled that with Royal Purple SyncroMax which is a fluid recommended for the WC boxes.

Not wanting to open a can of worms on the forum......I will continue to use the gear lube in my truck box because of the normal operating temperatures here in sunny Florida and will run the RP SyncroMax (ATF)in my NWC Hybrid box. IMO.....the WC T5 with needle bearings and synthetic synchronizers requires ATF, while in temperate climates the gear lube OR ATF would keep your T5 happy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Dave



Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I've got an 85-86 T-5 in my 37 Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup truck. I also have a 1985 S-10 Chevrolet Blazer Owner's Manual that specifically indicates that Dexron II, which has now morphed into Dexron III, is to be used in that particular T-5 NWC transmission.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I've tried them both & have settled on the ATF.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Amsoil Synthetic SAE 50 in mine in a variety of well beaten and abused vehicles.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0