The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Otto Skorzeny, Dennys28, Shade Baby, 49nut, 1 invisible), 62 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,649
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8
I have a '67 GMC pickup with a 250 and a 3 speed column shift. I'm wanting to put an automatic in it, but I don't care anything about bumping up to another engine.

I had a couple of people tell me today that a 350 turbo is the way to go, but I have a problem! My starter bolts around the nosecone to the transmission via 3 bolts. The 350 turbo would require the starter to bolt to the block.

Is there any autos out there that have the mounting surface for my starter, or do I have to swap all or nothing?


1939 Chevy 1/2 ton AKA Light Delivery.

1967 GMC 1/2 ton short-step.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
try buffalo enterprises. they make adapter plates for that purpose. you will also need a flexplate flywheel.

buffalo's contact:
25625 Dahl Road, Arlington, WA, 98223
(360) 652-7684

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Have you looked at your block? It seems it would be drilled for the bolts comeing up from the bottom.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
Welcome to the 'bolt Robert!

I seem to recall powerglides being placed behind 250 cu.in. engines. Would you consider a 'glide?

Phil


Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
I believe a TH 350 will bolt up, if the truck came with an automatic the starter would've had to bolt to the block, you'll need a starter and flex plate for a 250 6cyl with automatic. As Wrenchbender said, the bolt holes should be there.


Keith
If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it!
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8
Well, you guys were right! Once I dug through the grease, I found a hole! (didn't pull the starter to look for hole #2, but it's probably there too) I never would have thought that starters had dual mount - depending on transmission.

Thanks for the info...I didn't want to have to swap motors as well. Some people think I'm goofy for not dropping a 350 in the truck, but at this point I'm perfectly content with the output of the 250.


1939 Chevy 1/2 ton AKA Light Delivery.

1967 GMC 1/2 ton short-step.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8
Quote
Originally posted by Phil 1953 GMC:
Welcome to the 'bolt Robert!

I seem to recall powerglides being placed behind 250 cu.in. engines. Would you consider a 'glide?

Phil
I don't know anything about them, other than they are 2 speed. I may be wrong, but I figured if you split it into 3 and went with a th350 then you'd have better low end as well as a lower highway rpm. (like I said though, don't know nuthin 'bout 'em! Maybe the ratio is different than what I'd expect.)


1939 Chevy 1/2 ton AKA Light Delivery.

1967 GMC 1/2 ton short-step.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Both the Powerglide and the TH350 have direct as the final or top gear same as the stock 3-speed.

Years ago I had a '66 that had a Powerglide and it seemed to work pretty well, but it was a 327.

Today I have a '72 with a TH350 and a 350 and it drives pretty nice.

The Powerglide would use a little less power and if I remember right weighs slightly less than the TH350. That might have some performance advantage with the smaller motor, but I doubt it makes enough difference to matter.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8
Quote
Originally posted by OldSub:
Both the Powerglide and the TH350 have direct as the final or top gear same as the stock 3-speed.
I guess that means I've got some low gears then! This 250 sounds like she's winding pretty tight when I get up over 60mph!

Did they normally put low gears in with the 250/3 speed combo, or were most of them geared low no matter what combo?


1939 Chevy 1/2 ton AKA Light Delivery.

1967 GMC 1/2 ton short-step.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Find out what your rear end ratio is. 3:90 or 3:73 you may want to put a 700-4r auto o-drive. If it,s higher than that (lower number) use the 350TH.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 75
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 75
most all 250 with three on the tree had a 3:73 rear gear.

super250six


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0