The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Nick in Manitou, TooMany2count, klhansen), 120 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,240
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
I am wondering about using a lump head kit on my 250ci engine. The engine will have aftermarket exhaust and intake and TBI EFI.
Can I install these lumps myself? I have watched a video on YouTube, it seems straighforward, but... I have already swapped engine, installed a blower, swapped trans, but never actually worked inside an engine. What are the possibilities of screwing up?
How useful are the lumps on an otherwise internally stock engine, does it require a camshaft?
The truck is a daily driver, I like low to mid range torque.
Thanks for the inputs!


'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
i'm no expert here but seems like a lot of trouble for a low range torque daily driver. i mean i guess you'll always have a lump port head when your done. you are going to have the head redone with larger valves while it's out right? i would say it depend on what kind whether you can do it yourself. are they the cement in style or bolt in style with the boss removed? i personally would install a higher lift cam before the lump ports, but i have never done a lump port head so..... try it and let us know! can't wait to see what everyone else says. i want to do one for my 292 some day.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
oh forgot to say, you won't really be working on the inside of the engine will you, just the head right? i mean if you do screw it up just get another head. how many miles are on this one?

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
Thanks for the input! I had never heard about glue-in lumps, I only know about the screw-in type.
What is best, who makes which ones?
While the head is out, what are you guys' thoughts about milling the head a bit for more compression (still running regular)? And how much?


'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
I would think with a blower, lumps would not be needed. Have you ever seen the head on turbo charged diesel? They have crappy looking ports, but the turbo just forces the air in anyway, your blower should do the same thing.

You need larger valves and port work to go along with the lumps or else they don't work. The added benefit of higher air flow will allow a larger cam to work better so install one of those while you are add it. What about the exhaust? Do you have headers of some sort?

Have you been to the ( www.inliners.org )site and read all the DYNO results from the 292 tests that were run? You might have to pay for them, but it would be worth reading before getting in to your head.

Joe

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
thanks, you peaked my interest and i watched those youtube videos. pretty interesting. i haven't thought about lump port heads in several years. i used to be on the inliners site but my password stoped working one day and i couldn't log in. i hope i wasn't kicked off. hahaha. i sure learned a lot there and need to check my password again.
i would def try this before i have the head done just in case you make a mistake. i have a mill so that would make it a little easier. it def looks doable for the average individual. the lump retention bolt makes it look like it could be easy to do. years ago i read about some being brazed in or like epoxyed in. i guess it would take away the chance for a crack where you drill that new hole. i don't know which is better. ggod luck let us know if it works well.

Last edited by hoggyrubber; 01/10/2010 5:15 PM.
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
A little precision, the blower mounting I mention in the original post was not mounted on that engine, it was just to give you guys an idea of mechanical stuff I have already done in my life, to judge my abilities.
Thanks, keep the input coming!


'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,216
I ran a 250 with epoxy in the ports for a couple of years with no problems (with the epoxy). I made the mistake of going with bigger exhaust valves and keeping the stock intake valves. Using our flow bench I was able to gain quite a bit of exhaust flow and some intake (about 10%). The intake was mostly low lift flow which should provide good of idle and midrange torque. It ran really good under full throttle and off idle, the problem came in at mid range, like pulling a long hill where the throttle is open quite a bit. The exhaust pulses would pull so hard, the intake charge was being pulled right on through, causing extreme lean out. Simply letting off some or going full throttle would bring it out of the lean condition. I tried for two years to cure the problem, I finally replaced the head with a stock rebuild and the problem went away.

Some day I will install bigger valves in the intake and try again. The lumps direct the air up and over the flat floors so it enters the valve opening at a better angle. My epoxy does the same thing. I left the bolt boss in place, so that wasn't helping either. You loose so much port volume with the lumps, it takes removing the boss to gain back what you loose. That was probably hurting my head as well, but I just couldn't get myself talked into cutting them out. Dad and I have seen heads ruined by opening them up to much, and I just didn't what that to happen.

Joe

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
why not log onto Inliners and ask Larry directly about his lump port kit or http://www.t6racing.org/


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0