The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#605411 12/30/2009 3:05 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 18
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 18
I have a 92 ex cab truck that i drive year round. I want to put a 64 body on this truck, where would I start? are the frame widths and lengths close enough to work??
thanks
ed


ed s.

it's better to beg forgivness, than to ask permission.....
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
You'll probably want to start with your tape measure.

First thing you'll find is that your '92 wheelbase is longer than the '64 even if it's a short box truck. An x-cab long box has a wheelbase of 155, I'm not sure what the short box is, but more than 130 inches.

I would not be surprised if the '92 also has a wider track width than the '64 but I don't actually know that one. I do know the four wheel driver versions are quite wide.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
1992 Shortbed extended cab 1500 series 1/2 ton., Wheelbase-141.4", width- 2wd-76.8, 4x4-77.1. I don't have the exact frame dimensions handy, but I can tell you that the frame is rather wide at the center, and the rear section has a definite taper to it, narroing to approx 34" at the bumper mounts. Think of it a the reverse of the '47-'54 3100 trucks.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I'd bet the wheel base on the '64 is more like 125 to 130. You'll need to shorten the '92 wheelbase so make it work.

I'm not sure the width of the '64 but those numbers may not be so far different that they cannot be made to work.



1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The '64s came in either 115 or 127 inch wheelbases in 1/2 ton, 127 for 3/4 ton, 133 for 1 ton, and there was also a 157 inch wheelbase 1 ton chassis cab and stake bed. Widths are 63.1 front, 61 rear for 1/2 ton.

Last edited by LONGBOX55; 12/31/2009 1:19 AM.

Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 18
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 18
thank you for the information, i will look at a more standard option instead.


ed s.

it's better to beg forgivness, than to ask permission.....
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 355
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 355
well beyond even the difference in wheel base your going to run into major probs with the frame curvature the bed area is a particular hassel most have told me if your going to do a frame swap of that type its far better to go with a blazer frame


1937 1/2 ton

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0