The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53, Buckeye998, Chip O, WICruiser), 173 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#603957 12/24/2009 3:07 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
I'm finally at the point where I can start putting my new engine / driveline back in the truck. Its been so long since I took it all apart, I can't remember what gaskets go between the engine and the dif.

I think there was a gasket between the transmission and the driveshaft, but other than that I don't know. The assembly manual doesn't show any gaskets listed.

I tried searching, but everything was for the 1/2ton, nothing for the 3/4 '53 like mine.

I really should have kept track of all that..oops

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
Alright, I've been scouring my notes again and it looks like there is indeed a gasket/seal between the transmission and the torque tube. I can't seem to find a product # anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
If this is the joint that you’re talking about Fern, then yes, there are a series of gaskets/shims that adjust the friction that the cork seal ring applies to the ball.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/120571518/large
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/120571523/large
They are available from all of the vendors in a set. The instructions for adjusting them are in the Chevrolet Truck Shop Manual.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
Thanks Denny. I don't know how I missed that section in the repair manual. American classic lists a gasket set(GKT-04) for 1/2ton, and a different (GKT-05) for the long beds. The book only mentions a cork gasket and some shims, what are the extra gaskets for??

http://americanclassic.com/asp/dync...&iyear=1953&ytype=to&exyear=

Either way, is this something napa would have? I just got an order from classic, and I really don't want to place an order for 1 thing dang .

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
The gaskets are the shims, you put as many in as it takes to get a firm but free movement of the ball after you tighten up the flange. If it's to tight you add a shim if it's to loose and falls down you remove a shim. It's explained in the manual.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
The gaskets are the shims, you put as many in as it takes to get a firm but free movement of the ball after you tighten up the flange. If it's to tight you add a shim if it's to loose and falls down you remove a shim. It's explained in the manual.
No, I doubt if Napa or any of the auto parts would still carry them. I'm sure there is something that you need for the truck, there is alway a few parts that you can think of to fill in an order and make the shipping worth while. Try to find a buddy with a Stovebolt and split the shipping.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
I found the gaskets at NAPA, felpro es72843. Took a few days to come in, but it only costed $12.

For anyone that may need this info in the future, the kit included:
1-universal joint packing
4-universal ball collar
1-universal joint ball collar
4-universal joint retainer shim

now for a question, to put the cork seal on, do I have to remove the support on the other side of the shaft? I can't imagine the cork having a whole lot of stretch and fit over the ball.

I looked through your pictures Denny, you make it look too easy.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Yep, afraid you do have to remove the center support to get the cork on. Here is a picture that should show it pretty clearly. A little liquid dishwashing soap works wonders on the rubber to metal contacts.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/121008098/large
Thanks for the FelPro part numbers, I'll add that to my folder. I'm surprised that NAPA had them but that's a good tip, the price is the same as the catalog vendors but they tap you for another ten bucks S&H.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
Alright, now I have another question. I can't seem to get the nut holding the front yoke on off. What is the factory torque spec for it? I can't seem to find it in the shop manual.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Use a impact wrench that has lots of power. It will jar it loose and trying to do it by hand is almost impossible.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0