The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hotrod Lincoln, TUTS 59, Guitplayer, IHPWR, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 180 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,227
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 118
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 118
Hey guys. Im getting ready to pull my engine and install my auto trans and wanted to see if anyone had any tips or new some problems I may run into. Truck is a 61 3/4 ton w/283. I will be fabricating new side engine mounts. I know that I need the vacuem control switch for the lockup converter. Any tips on which one would be best would be great. I think I need to cut out the std trans crossmember and I know I have to make a new one for my auto and shorten the drive shaft. I am unsure about how the starter and flexplate are going to work out. I am planing to bring the engine forward a little bit. Any tips would be great. thanks

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
I put a TransGo NoYoYo kit in a 700R4. It came with a check ball and valve that would still let the convertor function properly even it there was a failure with the vacuum control. I would highly recomend this kit. It made the 700 a totally different transmission.



1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 293
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p1.html

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/speedometer_calibration_______va.htm

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Instructions/instructions/gm_tv_cable_adjust.htm

Here are a few site I have read and used as I plan on putting a th700r4 in my '57 Suburban. The 4l60 is a th700r4 with a new name; a 4l60E is the same trans but with more elctronics in it, as you probably know! Just make sure you know which one you have.
Bowtie Overdrives has a kit that does not use a vaccuum switch for the lock up converter and a lot of infos and parts.
TV cable is very important to set up properly, but not very difficlut using stock GM cable, especially if using a GM carb or throttle body with the bracket on it.
Easy to switch the trans to a cable driven speedo (with junkyard parts), you can find the right gears to make your speedo accurate.
These site should get you started!


'57 Chevy Suburban; '70 Chevy Impala.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 118
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 118
Thanks for the tips guys. I will let you know how it goes.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 118
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 118
Hey, I have the tranny out and I was wondering if its worth anything. Im not sure what it is yet. It needs some cleaning first but its a 4 speed with granny gear and has the trans break and hydrolic clutch. It came out of a 61 3/4 ton

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Sounds like an SM420.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,802
The rock crawler guys love that trans. Find an off-road website with a swap meet forum, and you won't have any problem selling it. E Pay might be another option.

Check this one out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955...ck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2a02f87d16

Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 01/03/2010 1:46 AM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0