Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (51sub),
128
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,125 Posts1,056,338 Members48,440 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 | Well still have the 52 4400 fire truck only had a couple of calls on this, so on to plan B. Since i have the 78 chev 1/2 ton 4X4 that I only used 4 times in the last year, QUESTION has anyone taken the AD and put it on one of these frames???? did a search and came up empty. | | | | | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | Mike some folks have done this swap with 2wheel drive frames w/the 1/2tons, but a lot of them have the wheels sticking outside the wheelwells. BUT since your truck is a BIGG truck the front sheet metal is longer & wider then the 1/2ton stuff so it should fit under there ok. The only problem I would see is filling the wheelwell w/tire since the stock tire is a 7.00/20..Joe | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | Joe,
The front sheet metal is wider, not longer. It should cover the added width of the '78, however it will be close.
you are right about the large wheel opening though.
Scott
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 | not worried to much about the front clip, think that will work out. the main thing i don't know is if the cap will have to be cut and chaneled to sit down on the frame to match up with the front end. dont want to have to put in blocks to level it out. Don't know if this is right or not
| | | | | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | Joe,
The front sheet metal is wider, not longer. Scott Scott when I bought my project I accidentally got a 1.5ton front sheet metal and if my memory is correct it was longer then the 1/2ton sheet metal. Its time for someone to put a tape measure to a 1/2ton & a 1.5 or larger truck to double check this info for us all....Joe | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | | | | | | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | Hey Vern it looks like you used the same type of patch material as I did...
Metal shelves........................Joe | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | joe, it has been measured before. I have a 6400 clip on my 3100 right now, other than taking the broken bolt out of the radiator support, it bolted up fine. I do have a strap holding the hood down as the hinges are not bolted in place. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2532655130101989507aCipSu
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | Thanks Dan, now I know for sure. I stand corrected....Joe | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | Sure enough. I had two industrial grade shelves left over that I have been carrying around for years. pretty tough stuff. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 187 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 187 | The big truck front end is wider AND longer.
_____________ Floyd If we choose being kind over being right,we will be right every time. Knowledge is a poor substitute for experience. Remember what is precious to another, may not be to you, but it is precious nonetheless. 1948 Chevy 2-Ton | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 | Thanks for the link s Vern. Looked them over you did a great job on it. Don't know all of the differece to the 78 frame, but guess that i will learn. Don't want to get this to high in the air so thats what I'm tring to figure out. even being a 4x4. Vern If you need a big bolt front clip stop on by might have something you never know. this is still all in the planing stage right now. still have the 50 that I need to get done for the boy, but figured i could work on the 2 of them during the winter when its to cold to paint.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 | know that the fenders are wider and taller, if i remember the hood is different in the depth of it since the fenders were taller, will have to go out and measure the over all length now just to figure that out. like Verns idea for the frame but don't know if i want to go with the lift, any other ideas?? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | The hood differes at the hing area slightly. The fenders sit a bit higher and cover it up. As for longer, no. However you can not mix clip parts the fendors must match the hood and must match the fender supports (I may try swapping the hood). Dakota has it right with the hood height difference. As I stated, I currently have a 6400 clip on my 3100. Why, because I needed a place to put the clip (the 3100 clip is in the wooden crate bolted where the bed goes) I will most likely keep the wider front clip as I plan on going with wide rear fenders and a custom bed, then I can run steam rollers for tires.
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 77 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 77 | My truck is mounted on a 78 ton frame. I used the old frame to fill the gap between the floor pans and the 78 frame. I cut the old frame to the contour of the new frame and welded it in place. Your fenders are the large truck fenders and would probably fit better than the small truck fenders but I have not measured. I was thinking the width was the same or only slightly wider. The wheel opening is bigger which is obvious. Find a 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton truck to measure that is near you so you can see for yourself and get an idea of how the truck will look with the bigger sheetmetal. Keep in mind that with the larger wheel opening the rear fenders have the smaller opening which may clash with each other. (if you put a standard bed ln your truck)
Search through my posts to see more information on my truck and look through my webshots photos. I have a picture of the wheels looking parallel with the truck in one of my albums. Good luck and have fun. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | Keep in mind that with the larger wheel opening the rear fenders have the smaller opening which may clash with each other. (if you put a standard bed ln your truck) This can be fixed. If you want to know how, just ask. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 394 | Looks like I will have my work cut out for me when i get started on this one. But first have to get the 50. 3600 done. one step at a time. will be looking more as spring comes, thanks for the links and the posts at least i have a few ideas now.
have not figured out what bed to use yet. but will have to figure out the rear wheel openings, keep the info flowing and thanks for the help | | |
| |