The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (texczech, Peggy M), 100 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,427
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 31
I
New Guy
New Guy
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 31
I saw my first AD sub one day on my way to work back in 1973, it came up for sale and was sold in three minutes I never had a chance and I didn’t know I cared until I didn’t see it on my way to work anymore, then I realized how much I had wanted that truck. I swore I wouldn’t miss the next one! It’s been 30 years now and I finally bought my first sub, a 1949 Chevy 3100.

I stored it on a neighbor’s farm until I could figure out a way to tell my wife about it; it’s funny how they have a round about way of “finding out”! After some fast talking and some promises, I got to bring it home and put it in my garage. There it has sat, seeming to beg me to work on it. I had been spending my time accumulating parts: SBC Chevy engines, 250 ci 6, 4.2L Vortec I6, 5 speed transmissions, misc interior parts, Seats& steering columns; speed equipment and wheels and tires, a running LWB Std cab S-10 and a rolling bmw 325 si go figure!). Pretty much the usual junk yard and swap meet finds. My garage is starting to get real full!

Then one night on ebay, I was the successful bidder on a 1949 Chevy Fleetline 4 dr fastback, a cool old car. Then 3 months later, I bought another. Mind you, I have only seen a handful of these in my 60 years of being a car nut, and now I own two! This move has done absolutely nothing to alleviate my storage problem. My wife says my buying is out of control, maybe she’s right. Maybe a road trip will help me get my bolts straight.

So I trip off to Mankato MN to see my son, another slow learner when it comes to telling his wife about his newest “project”. I get there and he shows me a ’96 bmw (mentioned earlier) that he acquired in trade from a guy getting a divorce. Motor is gone, but everything else is there but he has another rice burner V6 with a 6 speed trans to put in it.

Now I’m on my way back to Rochester from Mankato. I’ve been watching this old green sub in this guys yard for about 4 years now; today I stop and look at it up close, oblivious to the fact I am trespassing and may get shot. I look at it, it’s a GMC, I go knock on the guys door, he’s eating supper, (I’m thinking he’s going to be [censored]) I ask if the old sub is for sale? I’m waiting,……. He’s chewing. He says “it could be” I ask how much, he tells me. I’m sweating now and breathing real fast, I swallow, “I’ll take it!” ( the price was really right) Then I remember what I had to promise my wife the last time and wonder what it’s going to cost me this time. I told the guy I’d be back to pick it up next week before school starts. I get home and tell my wife I’m going to buy a Suburban as a retirement investment ( I just retired from the Army in June) She gives a blank look and so I guess it’s ok.

Turns out the Suburban is a ’52 originally from Idaho Falls, Idaho. Paperwork goes back to 1979, and lists several owners. Story from the owner that it was used by the Army Corps of Engineers for a nuclear power plant called “The Project” sometime in the late 50’s early 60’s. It has Army markings, a serial number and “For Official Use Only” on the driver’s door. On the rear door it says “TMP” usually stands for Transportation Motor Pool., but who knows.

It’s got all the parts my ’49 is missing and they are in pretty good shape, has an engine (’65) and open drive shaft also ’65. came with a 248 GMC 6 and extra transmission and 2 bell housings. Also included was a brand new Fulton 1000 visor and a set of original Guide fog lamps.

I pull into my yard from my road trip. I look at my garage and think, 28x40 is not going to be nearly big enough for the stuff I have now. “Holy Sierra” there’s another fine mess you’ve gotten us into Ollie! Time for some crucial moves:
I sold my old Fleetline on ebay to a guy in CA.
I roll the old Chevy Sub into the back corner of the garage,
and put my good Fleetline in the other.
I put my new Sub (GMC) in the downstairs garage on my house. I’ll turn on the infloor heat when it starts to get cold. Many thanks to my wife for insisting on a pre-stressed floor in our new house garage, so I can double my attached garage space... She’s such a sweetie.
I build an addition onto my big garage to store my yard equipment and the sudden collection of parts I’ve accumulated. Thanks Iola!
Nothing like a little creative stacking to make it look pretty, eh?

School has started now, so my life will not be my own until June. I teach Industrial Arts in a middle school, but only for 5 more years! My plans are to get the GMC back on the road by June for MSRA's “Back to the 50’s” in St Paul, June 18-20. It needs brakes and to get it running. I should probably bolt in a seat too. Later plans are to address safety, reliability and comfort items as I have time and resources. I like the look of stock on the outside but having upgrades in the running gear to make it fun to drive. There are so many different styles to emulate but I think it will be done in the Newton style cause that’s the style I like best!
My ’49 Sub will have to wait while I gather more critical parts for its rebirth; Iola here I come! I’m thinking this one will be way different than the GMC since I’m short on original parts for this one

Photos of ‘52 GMC: http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab174/kenewton/?start=all
Photos of ’49 Chevy:http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab174/kenewton/?start=all
inuke
Keven Newton
Rochester,MN

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/11/2025 12:03 AM. Reason: fix title

1952 GMC Suburban
1949 Chevy Suburban
1949 Chevy Fleetline

Stories in the Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Thanks for the pics. Looks like a nice project and in pretty good shape. Keep us posted.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0