Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,157 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | I'm working on a splash-oiler 235 for a 1950 Bel Air 2-door hardtop car with a Powerglide automatic transmission, and the only 235 splasher engine I was able to find came from a truck. The Bel Air has had a 216 swapped into it sometime in the past. The 235 I'm building up does not have the oil gallery drilled into the lifter area, so using the correct hydraulic lifter cam for the Powerglide equipped car is not an option. I was able to purchase a used hydraulic-lifter cam (the original cam from the 235 has a bunch of worn lobes), and I need someone to regrind the good cam to a solid-lifter contour. Anybody know where to send the cam to get it reground, and also where to get new solid lifters? Thanks! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | Hotrod, Here's a link; http://www.marshallsince62.com/id3.htmlI believe you can contact CNC_Dude here. He posts on Inliners quite q bit and seems quite knowledgeable. He has started specializing in straight six cams. Larry
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 |
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 |
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 159 | Hotrod Lincoln, I was not aware Elgin reground cams they only supply new parts.You might try "Groomes Engines" they are in Nashville
In the works 2006 GEN III 6.0 /4L80E/ 205 New process,A/C and power brakes .
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | Grooms engines went down the tube a few years ago when Roger Grooms retired and sold the company to a bunch of damyankees. The quality control went into the crapper almost immediately. They only rebuilt late model engines anyway, nothing antique. Grooms quit doing custom work and high performance back in the late 1970's, and the quality of their remanufactured engines got so bad by the mid-1990's that I quit installing them. The last 3 or 4 engines I bought from them had major warranty issues within the first 2,000 miles. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 159 | I have no pro's or con's about Groomes other than they are still in business.If you would like to search out a regrinder for your camshaft yourself so be it.If you would like any other suggestions from a seasoned 30yr automotive machinist I would be more than happy to help you.
Eric
In the works 2006 GEN III 6.0 /4L80E/ 205 New process,A/C and power brakes .
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | The place I would have preferred to get the cam ground was also in Nashville, Standard Motor Parts. I ran the connecting rod reconditioning department there for several years. Unfortunately, the owner of that business never fully recovered financially from having his paid-for property confiscated by the city of Nashville by Public Domain so they could build the Tennessee Titans a stadium. They went out of business earlier this year. I don't know if I'm "seasoned" or not, but I've been doing professional-level automotive machining since the early 1960's. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2006 Posts: 159 | As you know if the shop does'nt have a master they wont be able to grind it,they can make a master but that machine shop charge will be additional to the grinding process.Have you tried "Egge" or is there an alternate cam that will possibly work ?
In the works 2006 GEN III 6.0 /4L80E/ 205 New process,A/C and power brakes .
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,215 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,215 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | Delta cams can grind it,give them a call. 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | That seems to be the problem- - - -the cam grinders I've been in touch with so far don't have the correct master cam. Since the acceleration ramps are a different height and duration on a hydraulic lifter cam, the one I've got that's in good enough condition to regrind can't be used "as is". I'll try the links that have been provided to see if anyone is set up to grind my cam. If not, I guess I'll have to buy a new one, or someone else's regrind. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |