The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (walter74, Peggy M, Shaffer's1950, Gray_Ghost, 2 invisible), 59 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,700
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
V
Junior Member
Junior Member
V Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
Hello,

I got a 51 1/2ton cab and frame with the original 216. I just bought a 235 out of a 61 impala but it has side mounts and also has the powerglide tranny, I dont want to have to change out my rearend yet so I'd like to keep my 3 on the tree. What I need to know is if anyone knows for sure if the flywheel on the 216 will fit on my 235 and will the front motor mount on the 216 bolt onto the 235 so I can mount it in the truck.

Thanks,
Dave

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 170
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 170
The '41-'54 flywheel bolt pattern will bolt right up to the 235 crank flange. That's the flywheel I used when I put a '55 235 in my '40. I'm not familiar with the side type front motor mounts.

Steve


See my 1940 Canadian GMC:
http://community.webshots.com/user/ndnchf
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
V
Junior Member
Junior Member
V Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
Thanks Steve, I dont know if you noticed but thats the motor and trans you posted!

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
The front mount plate should bolt right on too but it's not as easy as it sounds. You have to pull the valve cover and rockers to remove the lifters, pull the oil pan to remove the timing gear cover so you can pull the cam to replace the plate. eek Nothin' to it. grin

Before you go back together you might as well do The old timing cover trick.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 33
U
Member
Member
U Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 33
I just went out & double checked my motors. I have two '62 & one '60 235 sitting in my garage & they all have the front plate. I personally pulled these motors w/low mileage from the cars. Well, except for one '62 which is still in my Belair. Yours should also have the plate. All you have to do is drill the mounting holes in the plate. I guess Chevy kept putting the plates on so they didn't have to redesign parts, but didn't drill holes to save costs.
You also want the 216 flywheel to keep your 6v starter. They have different tooth counts.
Scott


Life is good. Keep on playing.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 170
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 170
Dave,

I thought it sounded familiar. I hope it works out well for you.
Steve


See my 1940 Canadian GMC:
http://community.webshots.com/user/ndnchf

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0