Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,227 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | I went to the parts store yesterday to get 12v bulbs for my 53 Chevy dash cluster and got overwhelmed with all the bulb choices. Anybody know what bulb is best for the guage cluster? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | Thanks Tim, but I get a Firefox can't find the server at www.1954advance-design.com. error. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 403 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 403 | It came right up for me. Try it again. 62Blue Don
62Blue 62Chevy in progress You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | worked that time, I found that exact same thing on another site earlier this morning. So I think I need the #53 bulbs but there are still different candle power bulbs available in the size. Anything from 0.5 and up, I don't want to toast my gauges with too much heat. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | Another quick question on the gas guage. I am using the painless 12 circuit wiring harness. I quickly touch tested the wire to the gas guage and it seems to work, shows about 3/8 tank, I know I have gas in the tank but I didn't think I had that much. Does the power to the gas guage need to be reduced to 6v? I have a reducer handy for that purpose. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Most people say "yes" you need a special "Runtz" resistor sold by most vendors. Some people have said that they get by fine without a resistor. I'd use a resistor.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | You can use a 30 ohm 1 watt resistor. It should be wired in the supply line to the gauge. If you use a "reducer" which is a resistor, you need to know what application it is for. If you use the one that they sell for the heater blower motor, it will not drop the voltage enough for your gauge. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | It's all wired except for some clean-up in the taillight section, I ran out of loom. All my gauges work using all the original equipment. pretty amazing, I figured I would have to replace something along the way. It's snowing here but I hope to get it outside for some pictures tomorrow. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | Be careful with the gas gauge. I rewired my 53 to 12 volts and forgot the resistor for the gauge. Took a mili-second to fry the gauge. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | I have a glitch, went out last night and the battery was stone dead. It seems I have a slight draw on the battery that I need to track down and I think it has to be in one of the last few things done which are the dome light, ignition switch, electric cooling fan, and alternator/amp guage. I had a good system before these four things with the truck sitting for a week with the new battery hooked up and holding charge. fortunately it isn't a long list, but anybody want to make guesses as to which is the culprit. There was a lot of confusion in the directions for hooking up the alternator with the amp gauge, I ran the "solenoid power" wire through the amp gauge then to the starter solenoid power. The white wire to field 1 on the alternator with a jumper from the hot post on the alt. to field 2. Is the jumper not needed? | | |
| |