| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,402 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | Are the under bed spare tire carriers for 1947-1953 pickups the same for the suburbans ? My sub has a home made hitch with home made spare carrier attached to it. 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 | There were at least two types of spare tire carriers used in the suburbans depending on the year. 1947-50? 1951-? What year do you have? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I think that Tim has a 1951 Suburban. If that style of tire-carrier is the same as on my 1954 1/2 ton Suburban, it is the style with a drop-down "arm" (not a slide-out arm). I'll see if I can find a photo. Tim Czechman has posted a link to a nice set of photos. Thanks, Woody. | | | | | | OLTrucks Unregistered | | OLTrucks Unregistered | Yes 1951 was the first year for that style Tim. and if I rember right the master parts showed tham as another number then that of the pickup. Let me know next time your our this way and we can swing by and you can look photo and put the tape to mine here not far from the shop. Mike | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 | That's the correct one for the 1951 this one attaches to the side. The earlier ones had a bolt that attached about center inside the barn doors on the sill. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | Thanks for the replys.I need to post some pictures of the one on my suburban. Mike,I'll take you up on your offer,i would love to see your burbs.
1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 | Bowtietim, If you'd like you could come look at mine. I'm fairly certain it has never been touched. It has the original tire still in it. I live in Parkville. I think we talked a couple of years ago at the all truck nationals.
Cory | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | I will take you up on the offer.Yes,we did talk for a while at the truck nationals.I blame you for my love for suburbans,LOL !!!!!!!
Last edited by bowtietim; 11/07/2009 7:00 AM.
1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 46 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 46 | I could send some pics of the one under my 53 panel if needed just let me know. | | |
| |
| |