The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (55shaker, Still At It, Gray_Ghost, Lightholder's Dad, 1 invisible), 96 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,138
Posts1,056,440
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#589089 11/02/2009 9:07 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 13
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 13
I just removed the rear leaf springs on my 66 k-10 and found a cracked rear most shakel mount on the left side. It is cast and I was told some people can weld them. Is this true or should I look for a new one? The two lower ears where the rivets went through are snapped off.

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 99
6
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
6 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 99
That shackle takes a real beating. I drove my '02 Ram 2500 with a broken shackle mount for weeks wondering what was making all that racket. I thought the new muffler & tailpipe were installed poorly and kept going back to the shop that put it on. When I finally crawled under there and looked the rear end of the leaf spring was riding on the bottom of the bed! I appologized to the muffler guy. The point is that it is not a critical failure but who wantsto risk it? I'd vote to replace it.


Dave.

What's the last thing a red neck says, "Hey guys watch this."
What's the last thing a redneck hears, "Go ahead Bubba, you can do it."

Build plan: 65 Chevy one ton, 5.9L Cummins HO, NV5600 six speed, 2wd 1972-1987 IFS disk front, frame off restore/mod, custom dump/flat bed, Alcoa rims, Dana 70 3.73:1 duals drum rear, plush interior, Guards red with Marine Corps decals. Donor is retired 2002 Ram 2500, 194K miles.
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 230
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 230
if you can get the spring hanger i would put it on ,other wise you have to do what you have to .i only had to have the pin hole,s bored out and sleaved on mine ,but A good welder can weld cast iron .


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0