| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 20 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2003 Posts: 20 | Has anyone ever put the cab and bed of a 49 on a 71 chassis? I have both and would like to do this if it will work. I believe the bed will mount ok but are there any suggestions for the cab? TIA Don | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | You'll have to fabricate cab mounts, radiator mount, and deal with the wheels sticking out of the fenders.
But no, I haven't done it.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 77 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 77 | Don, I have a few questions that may help you get a better response. Do you have the original frame or just the cab and bed? Why are you wanting to swap frames? What size truck do you have? LB or SB? What is your intended use?
I put my 51 cab on a 78 frame. I would expect you to run into the same problems that I did. The frame steps down for the 78 floor pans this is the same in the 71. I had to build up the frame for my cab supports. I used the old frame for the donor metal and cut it to the contour of the drop. This worked out pretty good. I also had to build radiator mounts, which was not a real big issue. The worst part of it all is the wheels do stick outside the fenders a little and the entire cab sits up higher over ther wheels than the original. I yor truck is a 1/2 ton the wide and high stance is probably not what you are looking for. Even with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton it gets into that iffy zone. Drop spindles will help but you will have to be careful not to get into you fenders. Rodney Godwins 49 in the gallery has dropped spindle but he modified the wheel opening. I suggest you research as much as you can in the gallery and do a search because this topic has been discussed several times.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | Don, I put my 53 on a 73 Suburban frame. Feel free to browse around in my photobucket , there are tons of pictures. Vern
Last edited by FriedGreenTmater; 10/30/2009 4:02 PM. Reason: add link
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | You could then put the 71 cab on the 49 frame.
That would be cool
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 |  why?
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | |
| |
| |