The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Bill Hanlon, Jon G, Ponchogl, dt235sd, rfs56trk, Steelonsteel, Maybellene, 49choptop, 1 invisible), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,478
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 86
J
JC
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 86
I was working on my gastank this weekend and broke off the 3 of the bolts that hold on the sender. Any good advice on removing the broken bolts safely? I hate to buy a new tank because the bolts broke off. Thanks.


JC in KC
"The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle
1965 Chevy C10 Long Fleetside
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
I would drain the tank and pull it. Then, with the tank on the ground, fill it with water and drill out the bolts. Retap to next size thread and drill out sending unit holes to match. That is the safe way. I've worked on a tank without puting water in it but you have to make sure that all the vapors from the fuel are gone. Make sure you clean out all the fileings after your done drilling. It's a pain, but maybe someone has done this an easier way and will respond. Cecil..........

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
If the left over part of the screws will turn you might be able to use a pair of 90 deg plyers to work them out. If they broke off because they were rusted in about the only option is 51Jimmy's advise. If you have a sharp bit & keen eye you can drill them out without having to oversize the hole. If you don't have a tap the right size you'll have to buy or borrow one. You will still have to clean the shavings out of the tank when finished. Good luck.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 78
I used duck tape inside the flange to keep the filings from getting into the tank. Yes clean the tank out thourghly before and after drilling.
Steve

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Yes you should be able to drill them and pick at the remaining metal to get them out, after the tank is clear. Sometimes I get all I can out and then start chasing it with a tap.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 86
J
JC
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 86
Results! I finally got the three broken bolts off. Here's what I did: I cleaned out the tank and sealed it. I let it air dry for a month. I filled it with water. I built up a weld "puddle" with my mig welder on each of the busted bolt tops and used a channel lock on them right after the redness went away. Worked like a charm!!


JC in KC
"The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle
1965 Chevy C10 Long Fleetside
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Congratulations! Where there's a will, there's a way.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
If it don't move use penetrating oil for a couple of days.

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
If it don't move use penetrating oil for a couple of days.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0