The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 182 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
F
Apprentice
Apprentice
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
Hey folks, got a tough one for ya. I have a 1951 3600 in the garage and am trying to get the vacuum advance to work properly, but first off, I'd figure I'll ask you guys what the engine is since its obviously not the original and I have no idea what it is. Here are a couple numbers I pulled off the block:

Behind the starter:
CoN3E90
or
C0N3E90

Between the distributor and oil vent: 3769716

Another problem I need the correct vacuum advance. I took pictures of the two (original and one I purchased) but the new one is in a straight line from the distributor while on the original the diaphragm is bent 45 degrees out away from the block. Both use brake line fittings, and the problem with the new one is that the advancement/retard hold down bolt hits against the screw to tighten the clamp. If I knew how to post pictures I would or just email me at [email protected] to see the pictures.

Some numbers off the distributor and diaphragm are:

Vacuum Advance:

On the Diaphragm:
Delco/Remy 6 or 9
Above the hole for the hold down bolt/retard scale:
140
On the piece conected to the rubber diaphragm:
566

Distributor:

Underside:
1924230
Inside:
1112403-0E03

I always appreciate all the help and advice as I'm working on my first project.
Thanks.

Last edited by flyinhigh51; 10/15/2009 4:14 AM.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
The distributor was used from 55 thru 63 so an advance for a those years should work. Delco lists a 1116089. I don't see the engine casting number.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
The Inliners' casting number links shows the 3769716 as either a 1958-62 235 or a 61-61 235 from a truck.

Hoyt

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

CoN3E90

CON3 E90
E = May
9 = 9th day
0 = 1960

Tim


Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
F
Apprentice
Apprentice
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
Hey folks, been doing some research and still can not find the vacuum advance for my truck, every parts store on and offline have got the one where the diaphragm comes off the distributor parallel the engine not 45 degrees outward towards the fender. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I dont know what all the numbers are but I have been working on some 1936 models & they point towards the fender with a 90 degree el on the tube to the carb. Ican look in some catalogs tomorrow & see what they show.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

On 47-55 truck engine the vacuum advance is parallel to the block; the automobile/passenger engines the vacuum advance is at an angle to the block.

The odd thing is that most Truck Shop Manuals show the automobile vacuum advance unit.

Here are both units next to each other.

If you have the correct base/clamp, this one will work , after drilling out the pivot post and using the original pivot screw.

Tim


Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
All I've ever seen on GMC was the one you refer to as a passenger. It's probably another one of the small differences in Chev and GMC.

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
F
Apprentice
Apprentice
F Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 21
Thanks a lot folks! it really helps a lot! Next question; So would that mean the engine is out of a passenger car or possibly just the distributor? or just the vacuum advance and clamp? Also if I wanted to make it more like the truck style, what would I need to replace? I guess I'm not understanding Tclederman's suggestion of drilling out the pivot post and using the original pivot screw.
Thanks again!

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I'll post photo but I will not be able to get to my parts until Saturday.

Tim


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0