| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,225 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 36 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 36 | Hi all, just got my fenders (front) for my 53 3100 these fenders have the seam running down the front of the fender. Why on earth did they do thet to the fenders. Has anyone filled this seam and with what? Has anyone just paunted the fender without filling it? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | some pics would be great... | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 38 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 38 | I picked up a used front fender for my 52 and found a seam running from the light toward the grill. I ground it out and used body filler.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 36 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 36 | I went to the body shop to see how much these fenders would cost to be painted and I was told 600.00 dollars. The reason is the fenders have to be welded up at those seams in front. I don't understand why some company would put us owners though this, why wouldn't they make these fenders like our originals. I have a good mind to send them back. I almost want to just install them the way they are and not worry about it. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 | I just checked my trucks. My '48 has no seam, where my '54 has a seam between the headlight and grille. Hmm... Maybe the design changed at some point? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 275 | I think I know what your talking about. A few years ago walking around at a car show I snapped this picture. Fender seam
Last edited by highwayman; 10/15/2009 1:47 AM.
38 original 48 panel 59 stepside 46 in the back forty
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 46 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 46 | My repo front fenders are the same way. I got them for free (very good friend bought them).
My guess why they are made like this is, since the front lower corner is all that changed on the 54 & 55 1st series fenders, the didn't have to make 2 complete molds for the fenders.
By doing it this way, 1 mold for the fender itself, & 2 smaller ones for the 2 different corners.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | My 55 had a lap seam from the headlight to the grill. The original does not have this seam. I welded it, ground it, and applied filler. It is annoying since we paid so much for the fender in the first place. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 36 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 36 | Ok got my fenders back today(seam eliminated) I have been taking all the bolts out and have a question. Can I remove the fender without removing the inner fender? Do I have to remove the grill? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 36 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 36 | I have removed the fenders from my 3100, it is possible to do it without removing the inner fenders. I removed the running board as well. I ruined my fender at the bottom , this was the only way to remove it from the running boad.
Last edited by lock; 11/07/2009 11:47 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 36 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 36 | I wish i knew how to post pic I don't see a prompt The running boards are chrome and the fenders are painted | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | On a 53 truck, the front fender is not connected to the running board (give me H folks, if I am wrong). The rear of the running board is attached to the rear fender.
Yes, you should be able to remove a front fender without removing the inner fender. You will have to loosen the radiator frame, in order to slip the fender out from from under the "arms" on the top of the radiator frame.
It is much easier and safer to remove (and install) the inner and outer fenders together.
Tim
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 36 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 36 | Well, I have just finished putting the 3100 back together. I hope never to have to do this again. I have new crack free fenders and nice chrome running boards. I guess me and the misses will be going to the market in the morning thanks all for all the help and advice.  | | |
| |
| |