The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Brian Moore, panel fan), 166 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#582846 10/13/2009 4:00 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 36
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 36
Hi all, just got my fenders (front) for my 53 3100 these fenders have the seam running down the front of the fender. Why on earth did they do thet to the fenders. Has anyone filled this seam and with what? Has anyone just paunted the fender without filling it?

lock #582924 10/13/2009 2:15 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
some pics would be great...


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
lock #582930 10/13/2009 2:26 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 38
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 38
I picked up a used front fender for my 52 and found a seam running from the light toward the grill. I ground it out and used body filler.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 36
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 36
I went to the body shop to see how much these fenders would cost to be painted and I was told 600.00 dollars. The reason is the fenders have to be welded up at those seams in front. I don't understand why some company would put us owners though this, why wouldn't they make these fenders like our originals. I have a good mind to send them back. I almost want to just install them the way they are and not worry about it.

lock #583366 10/14/2009 8:58 PM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
I just checked my trucks.
My '48 has no seam, where my '54 has a seam between the headlight and grille.
Hmm... Maybe the design changed at some point?


David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop
54TOW #583478 10/15/2009 1:45 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 275
I think I know what your talking about. A few years ago walking around at a car show I snapped this picture.


Fender seam

Last edited by highwayman; 10/15/2009 1:47 AM.

38 original
48 panel
59 stepside
46 in the back forty
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 46
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 46
My repo front fenders are the same way. I got them for free (very good friend bought them).

My guess why they are made like this is, since the front lower corner is all that changed on the 54 & 55 1st series fenders, the didn't have to make 2 complete molds for the fenders.

By doing it this way, 1 mold for the fender itself, & 2 smaller ones for the 2 different corners.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
My 55 had a lap seam from the headlight to the grill. The original does not have this seam. I welded it, ground it, and applied filler. It is annoying since we paid so much for the fender in the first place.

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 36
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 36
Ok got my fenders back today(seam eliminated) I have been taking all the bolts out and have a question. Can I remove the fender without removing the inner fender? Do I have to remove the grill?

lock #590616 11/07/2009 11:41 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 36
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 36
I have removed the fenders from my 3100, it is possible to do it without removing the inner fenders. I removed the running board as well. I ruined my fender at the bottom , this was the only way to remove it from the running boad.

Last edited by lock; 11/07/2009 11:47 PM.
lock #590632 11/08/2009 1:25 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 36
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 36
I wish i knew how to post pic I don't see a prompt The running boards are chrome and the fenders are painted

lock #590634 11/08/2009 1:40 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

On a 53 truck, the front fender is not connected to the running board (give me H folks, if I am wrong). The rear of the running board is attached to the rear fender.

Yes, you should be able to remove a front fender without removing the inner fender. You will have to loosen the radiator frame, in order to slip the fender out from from under the "arms" on the top of the radiator frame.

It is much easier and safer to remove (and install) the inner and outer fenders together.

Tim


lock #594446 11/22/2009 1:23 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 36
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 36
Well, I have just finished putting the 3100 back together. I hope never to have to do this again. I have new crack free fenders and nice chrome running boards. I guess me and the misses will be going to the market in the morning thanks all for all the help and advice. thumbs_up


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0