The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Jay R, Gray_Ghost), 157 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,416
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Hey all,
On my almost big bolt 3800(the dually with hydraulic dump bed)I need to rebuild my side fences-

The metal frames are nice- but the are beat up and have about 12000 rivets holding the old side wood on. Because I do not plan on hauling grain I thought about building replacements with wood uprights rater than metal-
anyone been down this road before?

The most this will haul of bulk will be firewood- and I plan to reinstall the chain that holds the two sides together in the middle of the bed.

Thanks,
Sam




1949 Chevy 4400 Big Red
1949 Chevy 3600 Bob's Truck
1949 Chevy 3100 The Investment
1949 Chevy 3800 the Won Ton

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
Haven't been down the road yet but I'm going to build what would resemble factory style stake racks on my 1954 3809.

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,603
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Online: Content
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,603
Another big bolt saved by an old Blue Oval.

2-Ton


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
I am an equal opportunity offender- I like most old equipment- reminds us where we came from. As for the Particular blue oval of mine- It has saved many a piece of history.




1949 Chevy 4400 Big Red
1949 Chevy 3600 Bob's Truck
1949 Chevy 3100 The Investment
1949 Chevy 3800 the Won Ton

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
Many of the old grain boxes were made with wood stakes. Then it was just tongue and groove boards bolted on with carriage bolts.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 114
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 114
You may need to enlarge the bed pockets if a 2x4 will not fit. I used pressure treated 2x4's carriage bolted to two 2x10's on the side on my 12 foot dump bed and have not had any problems with loads. My sides are much shorter than yours and would need stronger uprights if higher. In the future I plan on having higher sides and I'll use steel uprights then.
James


1957 Chevrolet 6400 flatbed dump
In the Gallery
Webshot pix
1942 Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton
1962 Chevrolet M80 tractor
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Just FWIW the correct name of the parts is Stake Sides. Maybe I'm too close to the subject as I have never heard them called "fences" in my 43 years in the business. I got a laugh from that so Thanks. Needed a laugh today.

The factory built stakes were built with rivets and generally had oak posts and slats. Some used pine but the clear lumber became so expensive and difficult to get in the 80's that all of them went to steel stakesides only being offered. No one now offers wood sets that I'm aware of. Stakes were generally 1x 6 planks. Post size depended upon the manufacturer but common today is 1.5"x 3.5". I prefer tapered posts/pockets so they stay put.

Great looking truck. I had a 66' just like it in the 70's with 305 V6 and 4 & 2 speed.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 502
Stake Sides I will remember that. The holes are probably 1.5 X 3.5 or 4(My house and the barn are not really close to each other.

I like the idea of the taper.

Thanks for the help.
Sam




1949 Chevy 4400 Big Red
1949 Chevy 3600 Bob's Truck
1949 Chevy 3100 The Investment
1949 Chevy 3800 the Won Ton

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
Hello Sam,

I have only done the cab side so far. I will do the rest soon. Anyway,I'm following the plans that you can see here

http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/plans/6192.pdf

Its raining in Fairfax California

Should I buy that fire truck?

Chris

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,988
Originally Posted by Mt. Tam Trucker
Should I buy that fire truck?

Chris

Not sure which fire truck you're talking about, but.........yes! grin grin dance


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0