Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,416 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 486 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 486 | I have a '57 3800 with 4.56 rear gears. I've located a yard with a 3/4 ton 4.10 HO52 rear. I've read some posts about this swap but I'm not well versed on differentials. Can I buy just the ring and pinion or do I need the entire rearend? I'll have to pay shipping so I don't want to get anything that I don't need. Any advice will be appreciated.
'64 swb stepside (gone) '57 1 ton '53 phone truck '59 swb '46 1 1/2 ton '68 swb gmc
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | You'll need the entire third member, the part tha unbolts and drops out the front, but the rest will not be necessary.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 | As long as the rear is in decent shape, that's the easiest mod there is (you lucky b@#$d!) Get a set of new gaskets, unbolt the ujoint at the front of the pinion, unbolt the axle hub flanges, unbolt the pumpkin, reverse to install. It's heavier than just the R&P, but a lot easier. On my 3600 (if I could find the rear) I wouldn't even have to jack up the truck or remove the wheels. Just go underneath.
Good luck, and don't drop it on your toe. Peter
Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice) \'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run. My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787. Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 48 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 48 | I don't think changing from a 4.56 to a 4.10 would be worth the trouble. I switched from a 5.14 to a 3.90 in my 47 one-ton and while theoretically I can go 75 mph with 17 inch wheels, it still drives like a tractor, just a nicer tractor. If you're looking for more driver-friendly performance, I'd suggest you look for a lighter (faster?) gear.
My 2 cts
BTW the swap wasn't much trouble.
Don't read the directions, that'd be too easy.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I changed out my 4.57 for a 4.10 and I can drive at 60 mph with no problem at all. For me it was the way to go. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 | Fred, how come your truck had a 4.57 in it? I thought the 1 Tons were 5.14? I'm sure I read that mine was a 5.14 somewhere. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | That was a late night mistake!! Yes of course it was 5.14. Thanks for clearing that up.
Fred | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 | 60mph!!!!!!
Yowsah!! I can honestly say, I have never had my truck past 55 mph. That being said, before I put the portawalls on my Ponitac, I drove it to 75 mph on the flat one day. Then I decided that was too fast for the old girl, and never went more than 50, even through the rockies this summer.
| | |
| |