The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Patharr, KEVINSKI, 1 invisible), 236 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#579551 10/01/2009 6:14 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
Anybody know what years (Chevy and GMC) I can scavenge an exhaust manifold for my 42 GMC COE. It has an updraft carb.

I posted a want ad in the classifieds.

Thanks in advance

Here is a picture of the truck:
[img=http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/7369/dsc02697s.th.jpg]

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

That's a beautiful truck.

What make, size, and year ENGINE?

There are significant differences between GMC and Chevrolet COE manifolds, between different size COE engines (especially GMC), and differences between years.

Here is Chevrolet information.

Tim




Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
Hey, that is a beautiful truck. I have several GMC books of that era. I looked in Hollander that covers that era and they do not list COE, but the GMC books will have a PN.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
Thanks!

I beleive the engine to be original to the truck. Honestly, I am not sure what displacemnt it is. Are there any identifiers?

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
LKN,
That is one beautiful truck! Man that must be fun to ride in.

have you looked at this site?

http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/

There is a lot of information about serial numbers etc. If you go on their main site, one of the members "Mother Trucker" may have what you want.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

If it is a GMC engine, there is an engine serial number pressed into the block in the ledge/boss just to the rear of where the distributor goes into the block. The code may or may not have a letter or two at the beginning; the first 3 numbers would most likely be the displacement.

At the oldGMCtrucks.com link above, there is additional information regarding date codes and casting codes.

Tim

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
L
New Guy
New Guy
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4
I checked the stamping on the block. The engine is a 248.

Trucker,
The truck is a lot of Fun. I bought it early this year and drove it 100 miles home (SOLD my tow rig and had not bought another yet).
I actually enjoyed the trip though. Just could not get in a hurry.

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
According to my book it looks to be a CF300 or CF350. The book only shows them have a 228 or 236, but the 248 block is the exact same outside dimensions. It was common to repower a truck with a 248 when a 228 or 236 was worn out. It looks like the manifold from any CF series from 41 to 47 should work. The PN is 2090602. It may or may not be on the manifold.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Nice looking truck!! I'd love to see that one and Bill Marlow's parked side by side!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 21
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 21
LKN4, I sent you a PM.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0