The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Barry Martak, J Lucas, rfs56trk, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible), 86 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,487
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#576817 09/22/2009 3:59 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
I can't understand why the back of my hood sticks up an inch above the mating surface at the firewall. I've taken my hinges off, and they were very worn, but I was able to pound the rivets back tight again. So that works much better.

But it still sticks way way up in the back of the hood. You know, it almost looks as if the hinges are not from this truck, because the arms that attach to the hood seem almost an inch too long. I'll bet I could shorten those without any problem at all.

It doesn't make sense to me though. Those hinges were designed to close the hood tight, and they physically seem to be too long to be able to possibly do it.

Any ideas why this might be happening? Being a GMC 3/4 ton, there's virtually no parts available for it unless they perhaps cross-reference to the more popular Chevy.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Try pushing the back of the hood down after it's closed. If it goes down try oiling the hinge pivot points and work it up & down a few times. Hinges will often work that way when the pivot points are dry. Another thought is you may have overtightened things a bit when you snugged up the rivets. Did the back go down alright before you tightened the hinge rivets?


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Nope. It stuck up about 2 inches before I tightened things up. I almost made the decision to get rid of the hinges and just hood pin it down, except that I really want the hinge system to work like it's supposed to.

I know this is a Frankenstein truck, made from at least 4 other donors to make one good truck. I would not be surprised if half ton hinges are actually different from 3/4 ton hinges, and maybe that's what I've got. That's a thought. Are they different?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
HotRodDad...there should be tons of info on this Maybe scan a few days back on the posts.
From memory I think your to put a piece of 2x4 under the front of the hood and, while the hinges are loose, push down on the back of the hood. This usually takes 3 people from what I read. Two pushing down and one tightening up....

Hey, it may even be a tech tip now. I just have not looked recently....but I'm coming to that point on my truck to.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Have you tried this procedure in the tech tips?

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/bodywork/ad_hood_alignment.html



1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Yes, the procedure that Curt B. refers to in the post above works very well. Thank you, Mac Kinghorn.

Tim



Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0