The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Lightholder's Dad, Gdads51, 55shaker, MickeyP, 59 fleet), 85 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,304
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 70
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 70
I'm workingon a '53 chevy 1/2 ton. There are two rivets above the rear wheel well. I've looked alot of pictures but haven't found one that clearly shows how to finish these rivets.

Are they simply painted or do they get covered with body filler?

The help is very appreciated,
mark

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
they are just painted over on all examples I have seen. I do have one fender that I believe to have the original factory paint. What I need is replacement rivets. I want to remove them so I can get at a dent.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 20
I/ve used carriage bolts and reworked the heads to look just like a rivet . the problem using a rivet over body filler , the filler will break down when you buck the rivet .

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Originally Posted by mgebo52
I/ve used carriage bolts and reworked the heads to look just like a rivet . the problem using a rivet over body filler , the filler will break down when you buck the rivet .

thanks, I shouldn't have any filler near the rivets though, so if anybody knows where they can be had from........


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
I read here that welding the bracket would be visible so I went the original route and found a local place that carried rivets and the setting tool. As stated if there is any filler anywhere near the holes it will crumble when setting the rivets and I believe the metalwork around these holes has to be perfect to have lasting results. Try looking for a place that sells tools for working on aircraft.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0