Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,354 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 200 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 200 | What is considered a large C Clamp. I am doing a disc brake change on a half ton truck. Is 4 inches considered large for a c-clamp? Is that big enough to push in the piston back into the caliper bore? Or is it too big by chance? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Shouldn't take a whole lot of pressure to move the piston back into the bore. Any C-clamp that will go round the caliper should work just fine. I'm a little reluctant to push right against the head of the piston for fear of bending it, they are not real thick at the point. I try to use a flat block of wood and push against the edge of the skirt till it bottoms on the casting. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Last edited by Denny Graham; 09/07/2009 12:22 PM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | another way to do it would be to leave the old inner pad in place and push against that. I personally find that Vise Grip C-clamps work better than using the screw down type, they're faster and much less work. Just clamp it down, let it push the piston in, tighten more, clamp, repeat until the piston stops in the bore. Another tip that will help, open the bleeder screw. That way, you're not pushing any dirty fluid back into the master cylinder.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | ....leave the inboard shoe in place and use a BIG pair of channel locks. Works good....works quick. Been doing it this way for years. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I'll admit, I take it a step further. I have a special tool, 2 of them actually, just for pushing in capiper pistons. They have a plate that pushes on the piston outer edges, and also take much less force applied than using a C clamp or Vise Grips. One of them is for single piston, the other is for dual piston.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! | | "Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!! Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 4,252 | On top of all that, one other thing I have done is, before removing the caliper, open the bleeder and use a prying tool to push back the inner pad. Using the rotor as a fulcrum. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 576 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 576 | I used a C clamp for years,finaly broke done went to Sears and bought a tool.It was the cheaper version was only $10 works like a champ.........dave 1949 Chevrolet 3100 "When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | I have been using a C clamp for many years. True,you could go out and buy a specialized tool that would do the same thing a C clamp would.But why spend money on something that you dont need. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | In my case, I bought the tools because I do it for a living. Granted, the average guy that does his own work really dosn't need the specialty tool for working on calipers. But then again, the wrong tool can damage the piston, especially on modern cars. In particular, those that use the phenolic (Bakelite) pistons. Too much force in the wrong spot, and the piston will crack.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 | I have a "C" clamp that probably came over on the Mayflower, it has about 8" opening and works like a charm. I always leave the old brake pad to use to push the piston back. I have used it for over 60 years and it was old when I got it. I have always thought if it works use it. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 136 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 136 | I'm with Achipmonk, Channel Locks are hard to beat. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 76 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 76 | I thought the Mayflower C-clamp sounded the best. Still laughin! Vise grip c clamp are really the easiest for me. Will try the channel lock idea next time I do brakes. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 461 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 461 | Alvin, sometimes the old school method is the best and easiest way to go. | | |
| |