The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Robert Crandall, Bill Hanlon, TGP), 150 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 84
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 84
I have a 1953 1/2 ton and I was thinking about swapping the torque tube for a open driveline. What's the simplest way. Can I simple swap the center carrier section from a '55 into my current torque tube rearend? Should I just get a whole '55 rearend. Are the leaf springs the same width as my '53? Is a panhard bar necessary since you lose the stabilization of the torque tube? Or are the leafspings sufficient? I am currently running a stock 3 speed but am considering the Saginaw conversion. These are just some of the questions I have. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig


1953 3100 | 1958 3/4-ton NAPCO
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
This is from the Tech Tips pages on this site under Axles. It's a good place to start.


http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Suspension_Widths.html#Suspension


Drew
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
going on the advice of one of the senior members here, i'm swapping the open carrier section of a '55 into my '50, and then swapping an open trans. the rest of your questions would be better answered by a senior

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
that's where that chart was! i started to think i saw it in a dream. it's now in me favs list. thanks

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 3
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 3
I have replaced my original trans in 1954 Chevy 1/2 ton with a 1992, Chevy S-10 five speed. I have a new speedometer to accommodate the electronic drive in the transmission. I went to Mongo's garage for some of my information. I shortened the imput shaft 3/8 inches and put the correct bearing in the engine for the imput bought at NAPA. I have a 10 inch clutch plate, stock size, with the stock pressure plate. I am having some problem with getting it in and out of gear. I read an article on Inliners about using a custom clutch plate from a 77 Vega that has a pushed out bearing to relieve such a problem for the 261 and this transmission. Do I need to put in a different plate with the Vega front bushing?


Jasper2014

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0