The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Russ_B_10, Eileen, klhansen, 1 invisible), 79 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,296
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#570724 09/02/2009 11:52 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
I got my new pumpkin today. The only issue is I don't understand what is stamped on the ring gear.

It ia a 72 3/4 ton center carrier. The guy guaranteed it was a 4:10. I don't understand the numbers on the ring gear it says "GM 10:41"
(then there is a bolt)
"12 (space) 1970"

What gear ratio does this equate to???

Thanks
Rich


1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
The ratio is 10 teeth to 41 teeth or exactly what you wanted.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
Thanks Oldsub,

This was a risk as the junkyard guy I got it from did not seem well versed in these. I checked the code and it was TAJ which is a 4:10 gear 3/4 ton from a 1971.


I can't wait to get it in. I will be away this weekend so it will have to wait.

Rich


1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
This pumpkin is kind of grimey. There is some grit in the gears. Can I just flush it out with WD40 or do I need to use a different solvent or process to be sure it is thoroughly clean.


1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Congratulations! My 410 pumpkin allows me to drive on the highway and really enjoy my truck. You should try and clean all the grime that you can out of it. I would even suggest an oil change after a few weeks driving with it.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
410 pumpkin allows you to drive on the highway?
what was previously in it?

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
A 4.57 gear ratio Red, and those were not very highway friendly with a 216 engine. Fred is refering to driving at what is typically called highway speed, i.e., 55 mph. Since you haven't told us anything about yourself It's difficult to tell what your are driving or what your background is. The older three quarter and one ton trucks were geared made for hauling a heavy load with limited horse power so the high way speeds topped out at 40-50 mph.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 09/03/2009 11:31 AM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
My truck originally had 5.14 gears in the rear. It now has the 4.10 set and with my 16" LT750 tires, I am turning about 2700 RPM at 60 mph. As Denny says, 50 to 55 is fine for most of my travels.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
The guy I got this from said he found 4 of them in his search (they are a nation wide locator)It was not cheap ($385 with shipping) but cheaper and much easier to install than other options.

If anyone is looking for one let me know I will send you their contact info. I looked online for 2 months and was concerned that there were few of these left. These guys found 4. The first had a chipped ring gear and was deemed not salable. They sent me one of the others. I had it within 1 month of first contact.

Great service..very accessableby phone and email.

Rich


1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 47
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 47
Check out: www.67-72chevytrucks.com

GM 3/4-Ton Eaton HO52/72 rearends with 4.10 gears can be found for sale quite often on this web site.

Dan Michalak
1949 Chevy 3600

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Divide 41 by 10 and you get 4.10 ratio .


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Price sounds about right Rich, I paid $250 for mine but I had to drive from Sandwich, IL to Rhinelander, WI., 325 miles and 6hours one way. Needless to say I was very relieved when I pulled the cover off the back and checked out the gears and bearings and found them to be in great shape and no metallic in the oil. When you figure the $150 for gas and a full 12hour day it comes out about the same or a little more than yours.
Check out the bearings and gear lash real good before you install it. If something goes to hell in that rear end you taint gonna find parts to fix it. If you find bearings your gonna pay an arm and a leg for them.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL



Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
right - 'highway speed' of another era. my '60's' cj5 had 5.10s with a saturn od and it was still a screamer at highway speed. i'm not driving it yet, but i have a '50 216 3100, and guessing that it has a 4.10. closed of course. but the 4.10? is coming out, and the open '55 3.90 is going in. i got the '55 and the straight front for $100. the 216 is also coming out and the 235 is going in

Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
Dan,
I put a dozen posts on that site and checked daily for a while and never found one there. I think it is all in the timing.

Anyway I have heard of prices on these from $175 to $350. I think I did ok since I just had to wait for it to arrive. It looks in good shape. I cleaned it up tonight and I loosened all the bolts on the existing pumpkin and axles, drained the oil and removed the drive shaft. I hope to install the new one tomorrow and test drive.

RB53


1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you end up getting rid of your old one, keep the yoke. You can't buy them anywhere.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
Truckernix,
I will likely keep the old one for now...just in case. But thanks for the advice.


1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
Got the pumpkin in between Friday night and Saturday morning. Took it for a test drive and man am I happy. yahoo Cruise at 55 to 60 on the highway without pushing the engine too hard.
I still don't need 1st but 3rd is now a much better gear for cruising around town.

My only question is should I have gone with 3:90s smile


1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0