The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#570680 09/02/2009 9:24 PM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
I'm a new owner of an unrestored 1949 3600. I've been told the original split rims are illegal in Oregon. I'm hoping to find a 16" wheel that looks as close to the original as possible, and will accept the original hubcaps. I plan on using Tornel Highway 700-16's. Any advice? Thanks!!

flickr.com/photos/38977597@N04/3881681405/


Life's cruel to shiny things
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
I am not very familiar with Oregon law although I have operated trucks there as a commercial motor carrier. Federal motor carrier laws do not prohibit split rims. I would very surprised if Oregon had such a law. I hear about such laws all the time and the truth is that tire shops do not feel comfortable changing them. Instead of telling people the truth, they tell them that tube type semi drop center wheels are illegal.

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 452
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 452
I bought a set of Hayes-Leemurz (sp?) trailer wheels. 6x16, 8 bolt, minimal offset. They fit and clear front and back suspension parts. Hubcaps don't fit, but they have the bumps for dog-dish style covers. The inner flange on the hubcap would have to be trimmed for the original cap to fit tightly. Got them at Kal Tire in Edmonton. $99 Cdn each. I think they are visible in one of my gallery photos.

Good luck


Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice)
\'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run.
My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787.

Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you really want the original look, Stockton Wheel can take the inner portion of your split rim and weld it into a modern assembly.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 17
Thanks dudes!!

Last edited by Al Koholic; 09/03/2009 5:20 AM.

Life's cruel to shiny things

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0