The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#570540 09/02/2009 3:51 AM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 78
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 78
anybody done this before? gonna do it. just looking for the best way to do it. I was thinking about staggering the cuts and fishplating them. would it be better to make a straight cut, angled cut, or multiple angle cut to aid in structual integrity. a lot of questions I know. just always looking for the best way. thanks guys


"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Elanor Roosevelt

1966 c-10 stepside
1966 c-10 fleetside
1964 c-10 fleetside
1964 c-10 short bed
1964 c-30 flat bed
1964 c-60 dump truck
1968 Impala
1969 Nova
1971 Nova
1975 LUV
1976 C-30
1977 K-20
1966 SS El Camino
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
From an engineering perspective no need to stagger or angle cut. A straight cut is fine. Just be sure to have a welder that is certified to weld out of position do the welding. Also, fishplating isn't neccesary if the welding that is performed is full penetration and good quality. Boxing the open side of the frame in the area being spliced would add more structural integrity than the fishplating.

Since your in Texas finding someone with a welding rig to do the welding should be easy enough, that is unless you are a certified welder, if so my hats off to ya. thumbs_up

Hope this helps.

John


In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 78
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 78
I was just concerned because it's gonna be 4x4, and looking for the strongest way. I've been accused of over engineering before. I gotta figure out how to squeeze some pictures into this fancy computer thingy and I'll take before, during, and after pics.


"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
Elanor Roosevelt

1966 c-10 stepside
1966 c-10 fleetside
1964 c-10 fleetside
1964 c-10 short bed
1964 c-30 flat bed
1964 c-60 dump truck
1968 Impala
1969 Nova
1971 Nova
1975 LUV
1976 C-30
1977 K-20
1966 SS El Camino
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
A
New Guy
New Guy
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 12
Not trying to tell you what to do but the best thing is to put a good weld, then grind the inside of the frame down flush. Go to a metal shop and have them bend you a piece to go inside the frame have it go as far as you can on each side of the weld. you should use 3/16 or 1/4 inch plate your frame should be 3/16, don't use anything any thinner though.You want the inner frame to be a tight fit, after you put it in do not weld it,that will cause your frame to brake. Bolt it on each side of the weld, use grade-8 bolt 1/2 in will be good for that. That will fix your frame and you want have any problems with it.I'm a welder/mechanic and this is how you cut semi-trucks and put them together, I've done alot of the.Hope everything works out good for you.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0