The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 231 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#566418 08/19/2009 12:18 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 48
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 48
Hello, I'm a newbie and bought my first old truck a few months ago. It's a 1951 Chevy 1-ton with a 9' bed. I am very close to having it road worthy except for one thing. The rear pass side wheel is leaking oil from the hub and is flowing into the brake drum. So from what I can tell it seams that I have a worn wheel seal? I have never fixed this before and was looking for some advice before I start ripping things apart. From what I can tell, I remove the bolts on the hub and at that point I can pull the axel out? And then I figure there is a seal there that is easily removed and replaced? Am I out of touch with reality?..could it be that simple? Any advice is greatly appreciated before I screw the whole thing up. Thanks

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Yep, it's pretty much that simple to replace that seal.
You'll see what you have to do once you tear into it.
Your shop manual is a good source of info.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 48
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 48
Thanks Ghostrider, I checked out your 49 pics. That looks like a 9' bed, sweet truck.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
The shop manual explains the whole thing. I would suggest that you do both sides since you don't know the history of the other side.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It's not that easy. After you pull the axle, you have to remove the hub. It should be explained in the manual. The seal is in the hub. If you need more explaining let us know, & we will help.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 121
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 121
Keenebolter Check to see if you have a grove where the seal rides on the axle housing if it is grooved,use a speedy sleeve if needed THEN Do the seals,THEN make sure that your bearings are adjusted correctly THEN, Make sure the AXEL VENT is CLEAR.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
But can you use a Speedi-Sleeve on an axle shaft? I had to search forever to find axles for my 53 which were scored. I know the Speedi-Sleeve as I put one on my crankshaft snout where the timing cover seal is. At the time I was told there is no easy way to restore the axles.
As far as seals go there are two brands. Chicago-Rawhide and National. One is flimsy with a shallow flange whereas the other has a deeper one. It is obviously the better but here is the hard part. I forget which is which! I think National gets the nod but if you can compare all the better.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
The seal doesn't ride on the actual axle shaft on a full floating rearend.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Old 49 you are refering to a half ton. The brg. & seal ride on the axle its self. If the axle is scored there is a replacement brg/Seal that rides on a different area on the shaft that is not worn. Keenebolter has a 1 ton. It is a different animal.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 48
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 48
Thanks everyone for your input. I have ordered the seals from Jim Carter and I am awaiting their arrival. I'm aiming to put them in as soon as possible (meaning... when my wife will allow me some time to myself). I'll post an update hopefully with the success of my installation...or with more questions. Thanks again.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Olblu49, just thought ya might want to see the difference, here's a 3/4-ton but still full floating axles like the wonton.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/114877868
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/116365698
DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; 08/22/2009 1:37 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 48
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 48
Hello Bolters, My wheel seals came in today and the wife allowed me some time to play, so, I tackled replacing the seals. It was very simple. I am happy with the results except for one thing. While taking out the bolts to remove the axle, alot of oil poured out through the bolt holes. I read the manual and it says upon reassembly to "pack the roller assemblies with soft smooth cup grease". I said ok and did that, but what was with all the oil that poured out during disasembly? Was it the remains of the cup grease that turned liquid after 50 years or am I supposed to add some oil to that area.I don't see anything in the manual about adding oil or how to go about that. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nate

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
It was gear oil. Nothing to worry about, as it is normal to have it in the bearings. On a full floater, or any rear axle actually, the bearings are actually lubed by the gear oil in the assembly, it travells down the tubes to the bearings. The repack suggested in the manual is more of a pre-lube situation, and is a very good idea. I do it every time I have a rearend apart, full or semi float. You should check the fluid level in the rearend to make sure it is at the proper level.


Bill Burmeister

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0